Edelbrock Intake/idles too high

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2004
      I finally got my hearse running again after installing the Edelbrock
      intake. It looks nice, but it idles too high. I used a stock rebuilt
      Q-jet for a 1974 Cadillac, which has the correct number on the side.
      The Idle speed adjusterthing is not contacting the throttle linkage
      anymore, the cable has slack, idle screw backed out, mixture screws
      turned 2 1/2 times out, and the EGR valve is no longer in the car.
      The vacuum lines are new, and one terminal is plugged at the base of
      the distributor.

      Could the EGR valve be the culprit? The box said it's not for use
      with egr, but maybe the carb is set up for it.
      I have a 3/8" pipe thread plug in the hole behind the carb. I was
      thinking about getting an adapter to fot the EGR valve there.
      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2004
        Be sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

        Scott

        > I finally got my hearse running again after installing the Edelbrock
        > intake. It looks nice, but it idles too high. I used a stock rebuilt
        > Q-jet for a 1974 Cadillac, which has the correct number on the side.
        > The Idle speed adjusterthing is not contacting the throttle linkage
        > anymore, the cable has slack, idle screw backed out, mixture screws
        > turned 2 1/2 times out, and the EGR valve is no longer in the car.
        > The vacuum lines are new, and one terminal is plugged at the base of
        > the distributor.
        >
        > Could the EGR valve be the culprit? The box said it's not for use
        > with egr, but maybe the carb is set up for it.
        > I have a 3/8" pipe thread plug in the hole behind the carb. I was
        > thinking about getting an adapter to fot the EGR valve there.
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • GregTalbott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004
          Double check to see that the throttle plates close fully (primary and
          secondary) and that they are not binding on the base gasket. I have
          run into both problems on Q-Jets.
          Spray some carb cleaner around ares of possible vac. leaks to ensure
          that nothing got overlooked.

          Greg

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Scott