Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

  • mpascino_ny
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18 4:37 PM
      Both cars have shrouds, one from an 1980 toronado, one from a 1979
      eldo, both bolt on and look factory. I may remove one and take it
      down the highway. The factory shroud is mostly flat on the last 5
      inchs of the shroud. I guess it's possible it's restricting airflow,
      but I doubt it since it sits 2-3 inches away from teh radiator.
      Thanks,
      Mike

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
      <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
      > durring the swap, did you remove the fan shroud?
      >
      > often, the shroud has quite an impact on the air flow.
      >
      > if there isnt one, try to fabricate one and se if it helps
      >
      > mpascino_ny <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > Hello again everyone, I have a 1985 eldorado and a 1985 seville,
      both
      > cars have olds 350s with mild mods, one is MPI, both have 325-
      4l's.
      > I have never really had any problems to speak of with the cars,
      more
      > of just pet pevvs I guess. Both cars have 3 core radiators, which
      in
      > theroy should be more than enough to keep em running cool. Each
      > summer season that has gone by, both cars have minor trouble
      running
      > cool. Both radiators are roughly 5 years old, and have been
      reguarly
      > flushed. I have measured the temps across the radiator with an IR
      > probe and found it to be pretty uniform. Both cars have mechanical
      > clutch fans, both newer. The cars only start to run warm when on
      the
      > highway. Around town isn't really a problem. I can't understand
      > what could possibly be the problem. I am using fan shroud off a
      1980
      > toronado, which is a direct bolt on. Once I start to run warm, I
      > find the radiator temp is about equal to the engine itself,
      > suggesting I am not getting enough air flow to cool the radiator
      > down. There is nothing in front of the radiator or evaporator for
      > the AC to restrict air flow. Has anyone else had this problem? Is
      > it possible there is not enough room for air to flow through the
      > engine compartment? I seem to think the problem was not existant
      > when I first did the swap, but I also didn't drive either vehicle
      > much back then, and prob not much during the hot summer days. The
      > eldorado is at the point where I can not drive it anymore. I have
      > 160 degree thermostat in it, and when I drive it easy, it still
      runs
      > up to 190 degrees within 15 minutes. Sorry for the long message
      but
      > I am stuck. One car is set up similar to a 1979 eldo, cooling
      system
      > and all. Does anyone know if they had cooling problems from the
      > factory. I just don't see how at 70 MPH how I could not have
      enough
      > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand new
      > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even having
      > one of mine recored with 4 cores. Cody, do you have any trouble
      > keeping the 472 cool? Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
      > Mike Pascino
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > This email contains proprietary information and may be
      confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
      copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
      message in error, please delete it immediately.
    • mpascino_ny
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25 5:51 PM
        Just an update.... I am still have trouble keeping cool........I have
        a new radiator, new fan, new clutch, new waterpump, new thermostat.
        The head gaskets are new(rebuilt motor) and the cooling system passes
        a leak down test. I still don't think there is enough air flowing
        through the radiator. I am stuck. The car even runs warm at 65 mph,
        there is plenty of air hitting the radiator at that speed. Does
        anyone have any ideas!?!???? It hasn't over heated yet, but I am
        more than confident if I took it on a trip I would have trouble.
        Cody, did you have any problems keeping the 472 cool?
        Thanks again,
        Mike Pascino

        --- In
        Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"

      • joe2@digarts.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25 8:18 PM
          ...have you checked the valve timing?

          --

          Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
        • Al and Nona Evitts
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25 9:18 PM
            Possibly:  I had an Olds many years ago with the same problem. an old racing buddy of mine slowed the movement of the water by putting wahers in the water neck and the problem  was cured.  FWIW   Al.

            <mpascino@a...> wrote:
> [...]
            > enough
            > > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand
            new
            > > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even
            having
            > > one of mine recored with 4 cores.  Cody, do you have any trouble
            > > keeping the 472 cool?  Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
            > > Mike Pascino
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.
            > >

            > > This email contains proprietary information and may be
            > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
            > you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
            > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
            this
            > message in error, please delete it immediately.

            .

          • Corey Harder
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25 9:46 PM
              Do you run a fan shroud?

              Corey

              <mpascino@a...> wrote:
> [...]
              > enough
              > > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand
              new
              > > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even
              having
              > > one of mine recored with 4 cores.  Cody, do you have any trouble
              > > keeping the 472 cool?  Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
              > > Mike Pascino
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service.
              > >

              > > This email contains proprietary information and may be
              > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
              > you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
              > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
              this
              > message in error, please delete it immediately.

            • Tom McKenna
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26 6:30 AM
                Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27 3:44 PM
                  or air pocket in system? I have a Pontiac GP that is notorious for
                  holding an air bubble and many fords were trouble also.
                  The Pontiac runs okay on the highway but overheats at idle. The air
                  bubble "symptom" appears as a steady gauge rise up to around 245
                  degrees then rapid drop to 200 degrees.

                  Greg Talbott

                  --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom McKenna"
                  <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
                  > Anybody think to double check the actual guage?????????????

                • RGermain
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27 6:25 PM
                    air bubbles.... that reminds me....

                    I had an old '68 Dodge 440 that would over heat in the dead of winter. And that was with a new radiator, water pump, hoses and heater core.

                    I had an old mechanic friend suggest drilling two small holes into the thermostat. eighth inch or so.

                    This allowed some coolant to bypass the thermostat. I cant say that I ever noticed if it took longer to warm or not after doing this. But it did the trick!

                    <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
                    > Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

                    This email contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.
                  • Michael Wish
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27 8:12 PM
                      One way to help with air bubbles is to run straight propylene glycol as the coolant. It has better thermal properties than water and ethylene glycol. It is also nontoxic.

                      If your coolant has a corrosion inhibitor in it, fouling can occur were there are air pockets inside the cooling passageways. Corrosion inhibitors tend to form sludge when the coolant is exposed to air.

                      [Michael Wish]