For Sale: 1978 Revcon Class A with 500 Cad

  • James
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 5:48 PM
      Hi All,
      I have decided to sell my Revcon. In 1993, before I purchased it,
      the original Oldsmobile engine was replaced with this rebuilt
      Cadillac 500 cu. in. motor.

      This is a 1978 Revcon 28' that has been extensively upgraded and
      customized but rarely used. It is the model with the slant-nose and
      single rear axle. I am the second owner. The coach has about 99K
      miles total, with about 50K on the 500 cu. in Cad, and Art Carr
      Turbo. I bought it in 1996, and then rebuilt or replaced anything
      and everything that did not work or seemed questionable.

      I had the brakes completely rebuilt including replacing all the lines
      and the master cylinder, all the wheel cylinders, and the
      other "wear" parts. I had the front end professionally rebuilt
      including new torsion bars, wheel bearings, and upper and lower ball
      joints, upper and lower "A" arm bushings, tie rod ends, and Bilstein
      shocks. I upgraded the carburetor and alternator to the 125 amp
      model, replaced the starter and had the distributor rebuilt. I
      replaced the front and rear tires and the muffler system.
      By the summer of 1997, I had complete confidence that it was
      mechanically sound and completely reliable after several trips around
      California and the West, including the Grand Teton Mountains, and two
      trips from California to the Dakotas. Then I had the inside
      extensively refurbished.

      The inside had already been customized. It had been upgraded and
      professionally modified with teak colored wood cabinets and shelves,
      a custom bar and even the dash and window trim was custom built with
      the teak colored wood. I have never seen another like it. All of
      the custom work is coordinated with the stock Revcon cabinetry. The
      dinette was removed and a custom dresser with six drawers and two
      storage areas was built into that location. It has an icemaker and
      an upgraded Dometic refrigerator/freezer, microwave and two roof air
      conditioners.

      I further upgraded it with two Flexsteel reclining captain chairs,
      adding a 6-way electric Cadillac driver's seat adjustment also. I
      added a custom-made, Villa brand couch covered in butter smooth cream
      colored leather that complemented the tapestry/taupe colors of the
      captains chairs, then had the side chair upholstered in a matching
      cream colored naugahyde. The old brown shag carpet was replaced with
      a sage green plush carpet, after resealing and adding insulation
      throughout the coach. The original woven wood shades were retained
      and all the windows were tinted. The two roof A/Cs and the engine
      A/C were refreshed then. It has a 6.5 Onan generator, 40 channel
      Cobra CB, Stereo, and TV. The refrigerator, stove and microwave all
      look as if they have not been used.

      The toilet, dump valves, pumps and most of the water piping was
      replaced in 1997. The power converter was upgraded. Everything that
      I thought might be considered a problem was refreshed or replaced. I
      have the coach connected to 110 power and everything appears to work
      fine, even the freezer!

      It has been used approximately 2,000 miles since 1997. It was used
      mostly by a single adult, and sometimes a couple, but never any
      kids. It has not been used or registered since 2000 because it was
      tied up in a bitter divorce. As of June 13, it was cleared to be
      sold.

      It has two remote spotlights in front plus driving lights. It has
      dual air horns with an air compressor built in. It has awnings all
      around, and a pull-out rear bumper to carry a motorcycle.

      Here is the bad: The outside paint looks faded and should be painted
      to be perfect. On the last trip, the left rear tire threw its tread
      and damaged the fiberglass fender flare. That tire was replaced but
      the damage has not been repaired. I estimate that it could be
      repaired over a weekend for about $50 by someone handy with
      fiberglass. The generator has not been checked, and no attempt has
      been made to start or run it since 2000. The house batteries are old
      and should be replaced.

      It starts right up and runs. I am in So. Cal. and will sell it for
      the first offer I get over $4,000.
      Thanks,
      Jim