Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: 390 blueprinting

Expand Messages
  • hottrod41
    ... I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine would make that comment about it being old iron . Blueprinting, which is simply checking
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      ---Greg,

      I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine
      would make that comment about it being "old iron". Blueprinting,
      which is simply checking all the clearances to factory specifications
      is no more difficult on a Caddy 390 than any other engine. Actually,
      most parts ordered fall within these specs but should be checked
      while assembling the engine. I have five Caddy 390's in 3 1959
      Caddys, a 1961, a 1962, and they are no more difficult to rebuild
      than any other motor.

      Rod and main bearings in most all motors have a clearance of .002
      inch, crankshaft journals should be checked for any out of round
      condition with a micrometer, and basically any correct engine
      building process would be called blueprinting. It is inconceivable to
      me that any mechanic would simply assemble the parts in an engine and
      not check any clearances, but evidently it is done all the time. Most
      general repair shops these days just seem to see how fast they can
      slam the jobs in and out.

      I have built a lot of oddball engines for years. One of the rule of
      thumb practices regarding having a crank remachined is if your
      fingernail catches on any bearing journal surface, it should be
      machined to the next oversize bearing, most generally .010 inch, .020
      inch, or .030 inch.

      If you have some questions, please e-mail me at hottrod41@...
      I also have a website up at http://geocities.com/hottrodscars

      Also for parts availability, I have subscribed to Hemmings Motor News
      for about 30 years. Their online site is http://hemmings.com

      hottrod



      In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "rockinrye"
      <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
      > Hey,
      > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
      > I may even be interested in some custom work.
      > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
      > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
      > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these motors
      > and the right equipment.
      >
      > Much appreciated,
      > Greg
    • snyiper
      I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs. Heck we used to Blueprint
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
        factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs. Heck we
        used to "Blueprint" engines when we rebuilt them on the street in the
        early seventies!! Any competent engine builder should be able to spec
        your engine during a proper rebuild and it should cost no more. Ask
        the builder what the difference between a well put together engine
        and one that is "Blueprinted". Then ask yourself would you buy a non
        blueprinted engine from him? I think the term has several different
        meanings, I was thinking "Blueprinting" was extra stuff like
        Balancing the rotating assy, Brass freeze plugs, ccing heads and
        extra things that enhance a rebuild. Make sure you understand what
        they are selling you and good luck.
        Glenn

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "hottrod41"
        <hottrod41@y...> wrote:
        > ---Greg,
        >
        > I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine
        > would make that comment about it being "old iron". Blueprinting,
        > which is simply checking all the clearances to factory
        specifications
        > is no more difficult on a Caddy 390 than any other engine.
        Actually,
        > most parts ordered fall within these specs but should be checked
        > while assembling the engine. I have five Caddy 390's in 3 1959
        > Caddy's, a 1961, a 1962, and they are no more difficult to rebuild
        > than any other motor.
        >
        > Rod and main bearings in most all motors have a clearance of .002
        > inch, crankshaft journals should be checked for any out of round
        > condition with a micrometer, and basically any correct engine
        > building process would be called blueprinting. It is inconceivable
        to
        > me that any mechanic would simply assemble the parts in an engine
        and
        > not check any clearances, but evidently it is done all the time.
        Most
        > general repair shops these days just seem to see how fast they can
        > slam the jobs in and out.
        >
        > I have built a lot of oddball engines for years. One of the rule
        of
        > thumb practices regarding having a crank re-machined is if your
        > fingernail catches on any bearing journal surface, it should be
        > machined to the next oversize bearing, most generally .010
        inch, .020
        > inch, or .030 inch.
        >
        > If you have some questions, please e-mail me at hottrod41@y...
        > I also have a website up at http://geocities.com/hottrodscars
        >
        > Also for parts availability, I have subscribed to Hemmings Motor
        News
        > for about 30 years. Their online site is http://hemmings.com
        >
        > hottrod
        >
        >
        >
        > In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "rockinrye"
        > <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
        > > Hey,
        > > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
        > > I may even be interested in some custom work.
        > > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
        > > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
        > > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these
        motors
        > > and the right equipment.
        > >
        > > Much appreciated,
        > > Greg
      • GregTalbott
        Ditto... sounds more like they just don t want to bother with obtaining parts and checking your block & heads, etc. I don t know why a performance auto
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          Ditto... sounds more like they just don't want to bother with
          obtaining parts and checking your block & heads, etc. I don't know why
          a "performance auto parts" shop wouldn't be willing to do a quality
          buildup on this engine.

          Greg Talbott


          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "snyiper"
          <snyiper@y...> wrote:
          > I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
          > factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs.
        • hottrod the man behind the wheel
          Yes, that was my point exactly; they probably don t check clearances on anything. hottrod ... __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Read only the
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            Yes, that was my point exactly; they probably don't
            check clearances on anything.

            hottrod
            --- GregTalbott <cadillacsgalore@...> wrote:

            > Ditto... sounds more like they just don't want to
            > bother with
            > obtaining parts and checking your block & heads,
            > etc. I don't know why
            > a "performance auto parts" shop wouldn't be willing
            > to do a quality
            > buildup on this engine.
            >
            > Greg Talbott
            >
            >
            > --- In
            > Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com,
            > "snyiper"
            > <snyiper@y...> wrote:
            > > I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of
            > the engine is a non
            > > factor, they are all similar when you have the
            > proper specs.
            >
            >




            __________________________________
            Do you Yahoo!?
            Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.
            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.