390 blueprinting

  • rockinrye
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 5:23 PM
      Hey,
      Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
      I may even be interested in some custom work.
      Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
      some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
      I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these motors
      and the right equipment.

      Much appreciated,
      Greg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21 7:57 AM
        Greg,

        I can't help with a shop in the ne, but Dave Smith Engineering in
        Corona CA does some early cad machine work and building. He's super
        sharp.
        Dave

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "rockinrye"
        <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
        > Hey,
        > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
        > I may even be interested in some custom work.
        > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
        > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
        > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these motors
        > and the right equipment.
        >
        > Much appreciated,
        > Greg
      • hottrod41
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
          ---Greg,

          I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine
          would make that comment about it being "old iron". Blueprinting,
          which is simply checking all the clearances to factory specifications
          is no more difficult on a Caddy 390 than any other engine. Actually,
          most parts ordered fall within these specs but should be checked
          while assembling the engine. I have five Caddy 390's in 3 1959
          Caddys, a 1961, a 1962, and they are no more difficult to rebuild
          than any other motor.

          Rod and main bearings in most all motors have a clearance of .002
          inch, crankshaft journals should be checked for any out of round
          condition with a micrometer, and basically any correct engine
          building process would be called blueprinting. It is inconceivable to
          me that any mechanic would simply assemble the parts in an engine and
          not check any clearances, but evidently it is done all the time. Most
          general repair shops these days just seem to see how fast they can
          slam the jobs in and out.

          I have built a lot of oddball engines for years. One of the rule of
          thumb practices regarding having a crank remachined is if your
          fingernail catches on any bearing journal surface, it should be
          machined to the next oversize bearing, most generally .010 inch, .020
          inch, or .030 inch.

          If you have some questions, please e-mail me at hottrod41@...
          I also have a website up at http://geocities.com/hottrodscars

          Also for parts availability, I have subscribed to Hemmings Motor News
          for about 30 years. Their online site is http://hemmings.com

          hottrod

          <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
          > Hey,
          > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
          > I may even be interested in some custom work.
          > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
          > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
          > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these motors
          > and the right equipment.
          >
          > Much appreciated,
          > Greg
        • snyiper
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
            I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
            factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs. Heck we
            used to "Blueprint" engines when we rebuilt them on the street in the
            early seventies!! Any competent engine builder should be able to spec
            your engine during a proper rebuild and it should cost no more. Ask
            the builder what the difference between a well put together engine
            and one that is "Blueprinted". Then ask yourself would you buy a non
            blueprinted engine from him? I think the term has several different
            meanings, I was thinking "Blueprinting" was extra stuff like
            Balancing the rotating assy, Brass freeze plugs, ccing heads and
            extra things that enhance a rebuild. Make sure you understand what
            they are selling you and good luck.
            Glenn

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "hottrod41"

          • GregTalbott
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
              Ditto... sounds more like they just don't want to bother with
              obtaining parts and checking your block & heads, etc. I don't know why
              a "performance auto parts" shop wouldn't be willing to do a quality
              buildup on this engine.

              Greg Talbott

              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "snyiper"
              <snyiper@y...> wrote:
              > I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
              > factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs.
            • hottrod the man behind the wheel
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
                Yes, that was my point exactly; they probably don't
                check clearances on anything.

                hottrod

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail