500cid oil pan suggestion.

  • Steven Critchfield
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2004
      After seeing some pictures of a car where they reversed a 500 and TH425
      engine, it made me wonder how they kept the thing oiled.

      Specifically, it seems they took the tailhousing from a TH400 and put it
      on a TH425, then hooked it up to a standard style rear end via a short
      drive shaft.

      I like the idea as it moves the engine and tranny in front of the rear
      wheels, and gets the drive shaft out from under the oil pan. Now I want
      to see about reducing the drop on the oil pan so I can lower the whole
      unit down a few more inches. All this brings me to how the oil is to be
      dealt with.

      So far I have been looking at some of the dry sump options, but they
      don't seem to be made for a 500. Specifically, none seem to be made for
      the stroke of the 500, and nothing seems to be made for it running with
      the engine in a reversed orientation.

      If I am going to go through the pain of building a car with the 500, I
      want to be able to show it off by letting it run hard.