85 Eldo transplant???

  • vincenzodandraia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17 5:25 PM
      So I have an 85 Eldo convertible that I am restoring. As you
      probably know, the 4.1 is a dog. I want to put some more power under
      the hood but I am not sure of what the best ( and easiest ) motor
      choice would be. I though of a 5.7 TPI, or a Northstar 4.9, or a 500
      caddy........ blah, blah, blah. Cody put a 472 in his and basically
      typed me out a term paper on how he did it. ( thanks man!!! ) Anyone
      ever tried this before??? What did you put in??? Any info would be
      appreciated. Thanks.
      Vincenzo
    • William Lucke
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18 8:35 AM
        Is the 4.1 transverse or longitudinal? If it's transverse, then a 4.9 will
        basically bolt in place of it. You'll need to do some wiring and switch
        computers, but it should be doable.
        If it's longitudinal, you can swap any longitudinal FWD powertrain into it.

        Will

        > From: "vincenzodandraia" <vincenzodandraia@...>
        >Subject: 85 Eldo transplant???
        >
        >So I have an 85 Eldo convertible that I am restoring. As you
        >probably know, the 4.1 is a dog. I want to put some more power under
        >the hood but I am not sure of what the best ( and easiest ) motor
        >choice would be. I though of a 5.7 TPI, or a Northstar 4.9, or a 500
        >caddy........ blah, blah, blah. Cody put a 472 in his and basically
        >typed me out a term paper on how he did it. ( thanks man!!! ) Anyone
        >ever tried this before??? What did you put in??? Any info would be
        >appreciated. Thanks.
        >Vincenzo
      • Jerryberry48
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18 9:04 AM
          Hey,
          Anybody in this group ever have contact with a guy
          named Carl McAbee? He is an old friend I am trying to
          make contact with and he is an old Cadillac
          afficionado. Any help you could give me would be
          appreciated.
          Jerry

          http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
        • Joe Foerster
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18 9:14 AM
            To be technically correct, if you are "Restoring" the car, you are making it
            like it was when it came from teh factory. Engine and all. Since the
            convertibles were very limited in production, this might be a better way to
            go. But having owned an '84 Eldo with teh HT4100, I can appreciate the need
            for more power.

            If you really want to Kustomize the engine in this car, you might look
            around for a '79 parts Eldo. They had FI Olds 350 which is nice or can be
            drop-in replaced with a 403.

            Joe Foerster
            North Hollywood, CA
            http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

            > From: "vincenzodandraia" <vincenzodandraia@...>
            >Subject: 85 Eldo transplant???
            >
            >So I have an 85 Eldo convertible that I am restoring. As you
            >probably know, the 4.1 is a dog. I want to put some more power under
            >the hood but I am not sure of what the best ( and easiest ) motor
            >choice would be. I though of a 5.7 TPI, or a Northstar 4.9, or a 500
            >caddy........ blah, blah, blah. Cody put a 472 in his and basically
            >typed me out a term paper on how he did it. ( thanks man!!! ) Anyone
            >ever tried this before??? What did you put in??? Any info would be
            >appreciated. Thanks.
            >Vincenzo
          • Vincenzo DAndraia
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 18 4:17 PM
              Hi will.  Thanks for replying.  It is definetly longitudinal.  think a 5.7 tpi will bolt up to my existing trans and diff???
              Vincenzo

              William Lucke <wlucke@...> wrote:
              Is the 4.1 transverse or longitudinal? If it's transverse, then a 4.9 will
              basically bolt in place of it. You'll need to do some wiring and switch
              computers, but it should be doable.
              If it's longitudinal, you can swap any longitudinal FWD powertrain into it.

              Will

              >   From: "vincenzodandraia" <vincenzodandraia@...>
              >Subject: 85 Eldo transplant???
              >
              >So I have an 85 Eldo convertible that I am restoring.  As you
              >probably know, the 4.1 is a dog.  I want to put some more power under
              >the hood but I am not sure of what the best ( and easiest ) motor
              >choice would be.  I though of a 5.7 TPI, or a Northstar 4.9, or a 500
              >caddy........ blah, blah, blah.  Cody put a 472 in his and basically
              >typed me out a term paper on how he did it.  ( thanks man!!! ) Anyone
              >ever tried this before???  What did you put in???  Any info would be
              >appreciated.  Thanks.
              >Vincenzo

            • Vincenzo DAndraia
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18 4:25 PM
                thanks for the correction.  I should have said "reviving from the dead".  It sat outside for 10 years so you can imagine what it looked like.  with the exception of the exterior crome that I dont think is obtainable anymore, the body and interior have been done.  i might wind up doing the 79 eldo thing, i was just looking for alternatives.  I like the 403 idea.  were they computerized back then???  My parents bought this car new in 85 and as a stupid kid I destroyed it.  Has a lot of sentimental value to me.  I want to keep it stock looking everywhere but under the hood.  thanks for your reply.
                vincenzo