questions from another newbie on a 78

  • Herb Mooney
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hello to all. I'd like to build a Hot Rod out of my 78 Coupe Deville.
      Do I need anything special to put a 500 in place of my current 425?
      Is this an easy swap or a lot of work for this car? Also does anyone
      know the rear ratio in this car? I believe I already have the TH400
      so the trans should be good enough, but will the 500 bolt right up to
      it? I'm thinking the 500 with the 120cc heads for the street. Am I
      going in the right direction here? I've looked at the MTS site and
      the Cad Comapny sites so I just need to know what I need for the swap
      and I'll be on my way, well almost, I need a 500 so I'm looking for a
      parts car or motor in PA, OH, MD, DE, NY, WV, NJ areas.

      Herb in PA (near Carlisle)
      78 Coupe Deville
    • Juan Ayon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        It should be a direct bolt-in. 425's 472's & 500's share physical
        dimensions. Have fun!
      • Scott Pearson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
          Anything special? Of course, a big grin when you stomp on the go pedal the
          first time!

          Bolt in installation.

          Scott