390 cadillac question

  • beladona_13
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2004
      I'm rebuilding a 390 for a 59 Caddy Superior 3 way hearse. Been
      through it once already and lost oil pressure. The rear main bearing
      spun inside the block! Argh!
      I've had the block lined bored, new cam bearings, crank turned
      again, and the oil pump professionally rebuilt. (they found that the
      plate holding the gears was excessively warped and had to be
      replaced.)
      My question is this: The oil pump has a floating screen held in
      place by a cotter pin. I can find nothing concerning wether or not
      there is some kind of seal where the screen slides into the pump. I
      have a few thousandths worth of clearance between the pump body and
      the screen tube. Can anyone tell me ig this will be a problem? Will
      I need to solder the screen to the pump? Its lasted since 59 as a
      floater, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to seal it
      up. Anyone have an idea? Silicone is my last option... Please help!
    • bill lutzius
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2004
        I would not use silcone in side where it may clog a
        oil passage.The screen would be for big things so a
        tight fit may not be important.Epoxy maybe .But if it
        can,t go anywhere,like into the pump.I would not worry
        about it.I saw a old caddy in a shop that just had its
        engine done.It was makeing noise so they pull the pan
        and the new bearings were ruined.The crank grinder had
        not cleaned out the oil passages.They were plugged
        with grit from grinding.Sorry to hear your trouble,but
        you know how fine it will be when you,re done !

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools