Re: Help

  • cadillac19852003
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
      How hard would it be to but a 4.5 in there... I have access to a lot
      of those. Would the tranny match up?

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe
      Foerster" <joefoerster@y...> wrote:
      > HT4100's are notoriously gutless. Not much you can do unless you
      feel like
      > replacing it with an Olds 350 or 403.
      >
      > Joe Foerster
      > North Hollywood, CA
      > http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

    • Joe Foerster
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
        Quite some time ago, I found a place on the web that offered a conversion
        package to a 4.5 or a 4.9. I've lost the URL but do some Googling around and
        you'll probably find it. Should be a neat setup.

        Another option is to find an older Eldo like an '81 with the V8-6-4. That's
        a 368 engine and you can disable the modulated displacement feature. Use the
        powertrain parts from the '81 in your '85.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
          Do you know if the bolt patterns are the same? And what about all
          the computer crap and such? Dont you just love cadillac computers?
          lol...

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
            Sorry, I don't. I never followed through on any of it. I sold my '84 Eldo
            and got a '75 convertible with a 500 instead!

            Joe Foerster
            North Hollywood, CA
            http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

            Do you know if the bolt patterns are the same? And what about all
            the computer crap and such? Dont you just love cadillac computers?
            lol...

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe
            Foerster" <joefoerster@y...> wrote:
            > Quite some time ago, I found a place on the web that offered a
            conversion
            > package to a 4.5 or a 4.9. I've lost the URL but do some Googling
            around and
            > you'll probably find it. Should be a neat setup.
            >
            > Another option is to find an older Eldo like an '81 with the V8-6-
            4. That's
            > a 368 engine and you can disable the modulated displacement
            feature. Use the
            > powertrain parts from the '81 in your '85.

          • William Lucke
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
              Is it longitudinal or transverse?
              If it's a sidewinder, you can install a 4.5 or 4.9 in its place.
              If it's longitudinal, you can do what has been suggested and install a 368
              (or a 500 if you so desire)

              Will

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                The trans won't handle a 500 or a 472.

                Joe Foerster
                North Hollywood, CA
                http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

                If it's a sidewinder, you can install a 4.5 or 4.9 in its place.
                If it's longitudinal, you can do what has been suggested and install a 368
                (or a 500 if you so desire)

                Will

                > From: "cadillac19852003" <cadillac19852003@...>
                >Subject: Help
                >
                >Does anyone know anything that I can do to my 4100 to make it have a
                >little more punch, or anything! Thanks guys
                >
                >PS Its in an 85 Eldo. Perfect car except for the stupid motor!
              • brunsdal
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                  Dear Joe: I have seen a swap on a 82 to a 403 Olds, do you think the tranny will have a problem, I am planning the same swap and could  use the Olds tranny also? Thanks Dale

                  ____________________
                  Dale and Ethel Brunsdale
                  250-233-8866
                  brunsdale@...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                    The swap I've seen used the Cad trans. Of course, switching to a THM-425 would be better but it is a *huge* undertaking.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28, 2004
                      What engine would bolt right up to the tranny i have in there now
                      (its an 85 Eldo, so its regularly mounted... and ive got plenty of
                      room under the hood!) Could i just directly bolt a 368 to it? And
                      what about just turning a 4.9 or 4.5 regular way... what would that
                      do? Mainly going after the 368 question here...
                      Sid Walker
                      85 Eldorado

                      of Service.
                    • cadillac19852003
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2004
                        What engine would bolt right up to the tranny i have in there now
                        (its an 85 Eldo, so its regularly mounted... and ive got plenty of
                        room under the hood!) Could i just directly bolt a 368 to it? And
                        what about just turning a 4.9 or 4.5 regular way... what would that
                        do? Mainly going after the 368 question here...
                        Sid Walker
                        85 Eldorado
                        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe
                        Foerster" <joefoerster@y...> wrote:
                        > The swap I've seen used the Cad trans. Of course, switching to a
                        THM-425 would be better but it is a *huge* undertaking.

                        > Joe Foerster
                        > North Hollywood, CA
                        > http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

                        of Service.
                      • William Lucke
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 29, 2004
                          The 4.5 and 4.9 have the transverse bolt pattern and won't bolt to the
                          longitudinal transmission.

                          Will