Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Help

  • Joe Foerster
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 20, 2004
      HT4100's are notoriously gutless. Not much you can do unless you feel like
      replacing it with an Olds 350 or 403.

      Joe Foerster
      North Hollywood, CA
      http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
        How hard would it be to but a 4.5 in there... I have access to a lot
        of those. Would the tranny match up?

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
          Quite some time ago, I found a place on the web that offered a conversion
          package to a 4.5 or a 4.9. I've lost the URL but do some Googling around and
          you'll probably find it. Should be a neat setup.

          Another option is to find an older Eldo like an '81 with the V8-6-4. That's
          a 368 engine and you can disable the modulated displacement feature. Use the
          powertrain parts from the '81 in your '85.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
            Do you know if the bolt patterns are the same? And what about all
            the computer crap and such? Dont you just love cadillac computers?
            lol...

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 21, 2004
              Sorry, I don't. I never followed through on any of it. I sold my '84 Eldo
              and got a '75 convertible with a 500 instead!

              Joe Foerster
              North Hollywood, CA
              http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

              Do you know if the bolt patterns are the same? And what about all
              the computer crap and such? Dont you just love cadillac computers?
              lol...

              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe
              Foerster" <joefoerster@y...> wrote:
              > Quite some time ago, I found a place on the web that offered a
              conversion
              > package to a 4.5 or a 4.9. I've lost the URL but do some Googling
              around and
              > you'll probably find it. Should be a neat setup.
              >
              > Another option is to find an older Eldo like an '81 with the V8-6-
              4. That's
              > a 368 engine and you can disable the modulated displacement
              feature. Use the
              > powertrain parts from the '81 in your '85.

            • William Lucke
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                Is it longitudinal or transverse?
                If it's a sidewinder, you can install a 4.5 or 4.9 in its place.
                If it's longitudinal, you can do what has been suggested and install a 368
                (or a 500 if you so desire)

                Will

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                  The trans won't handle a 500 or a 472.

                  Joe Foerster
                  North Hollywood, CA
                  http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

                  If it's a sidewinder, you can install a 4.5 or 4.9 in its place.
                  If it's longitudinal, you can do what has been suggested and install a 368
                  (or a 500 if you so desire)

                  Will

                  > From: "cadillac19852003" <cadillac19852003@...>
                  >Subject: Help
                  >
                  >Does anyone know anything that I can do to my 4100 to make it have a
                  >little more punch, or anything! Thanks guys
                  >
                  >PS Its in an 85 Eldo. Perfect car except for the stupid motor!
                • brunsdal
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                    Dear Joe: I have seen a swap on a 82 to a 403 Olds, do you think the tranny will have a problem, I am planning the same swap and could  use the Olds tranny also? Thanks Dale

                    ____________________
                    Dale and Ethel Brunsdale
                    250-233-8866
                    brunsdale@...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 22, 2004
                      The swap I've seen used the Cad trans. Of course, switching to a THM-425 would be better but it is a *huge* undertaking.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2004
                        What engine would bolt right up to the tranny i have in there now
                        (its an 85 Eldo, so its regularly mounted... and ive got plenty of
                        room under the hood!) Could i just directly bolt a 368 to it? And
                        what about just turning a 4.9 or 4.5 regular way... what would that
                        do? Mainly going after the 368 question here...
                        Sid Walker
                        85 Eldorado

                        of Service.
                      • cadillac19852003
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 28, 2004
                          What engine would bolt right up to the tranny i have in there now
                          (its an 85 Eldo, so its regularly mounted... and ive got plenty of
                          room under the hood!) Could i just directly bolt a 368 to it? And
                          what about just turning a 4.9 or 4.5 regular way... what would that
                          do? Mainly going after the 368 question here...
                          Sid Walker
                          85 Eldorado
                          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Joe
                          Foerster" <joefoerster@y...> wrote:
                          > The swap I've seen used the Cad trans. Of course, switching to a
                          THM-425 would be better but it is a *huge* undertaking.

                          > Joe Foerster
                          > North Hollywood, CA
                          > http://www.bobnjoe.com/interest/Cad/cad.htm

                          of Service.
                        • William Lucke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 29, 2004
                            The 4.5 and 4.9 have the transverse bolt pattern and won't bolt to the
                            longitudinal transmission.

                            Will