Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Eldo help

  • John Brody
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2004
      Yeah, this happened to me (with another car, not the Cad).  It got worse very quickly.  One week it didn't start once or twice, the next week I found myself stuck at a truck stop on I-80 jiggling the key for 45 minutes before it finally cranked up.  Needless to say I left it running after that and took it straight to a mechanic who replaced the ignition cylinder when I got home.  Problem solved.

      Funny thing is, I had a cheapo key made during that week before I figured out it was the ignition lock cylinder, and after I had the cylinder replaced, the cheapo key worked in the door but not the ignition.  Made me think the ignition one is probably more sensitive -- either because it's not as exposed to the elements as a door lock so can be more precise/less durable, or maybe they figure it's easy for a thief to open the door but they want to make it harder to crack the ignition... ?  Anyway, that might explain why you'll go through a lot more ignition cylinders than door locks.  Also the key ring theory makes some sense too.

      John

      bill lutzius <billlutzius@...> wrote:
      The key switch on cars break pretty often.You have to
      replace the switch.When you have a lot of keys on the
      key ring the weight of the keys brake the switch.Try
      holding your key on the end that goes in the switch
      and you will feel the weight of a key ring with lots
      of keys on it.
      --- Ryan Stockreef <nothincametomind@...> wrote:
      > Hi, I have a 1991 Eldorado and the battery died.  We
      > took my
      > mom's '02 Seville over to jump it and it wouldn't
      > start.  Not the
      > problem. The problem is I tired to take the key out
      > and it wouldn't
      > come out. I figured it had something to do with the
      > passlock. So
      > about a week later, we took my friend's truck over
      > and tried to jump
      > it again. After a while it started, but once again
      > the key would not
      > come out, I couldn't even turn off the car. i
      > decided to turn the key
      > forward and it died and would not start again, and
      > the key still
      > would not come out. So my question is does anybody
      > know how to get
      > the key out? I'm trying to sell it and I need to get
      > the key out.
      > Thanks.

    • Tommy Pierson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2004
        --- I don't know how difficult it is to access the door lock on a '91
        Caddy, but an 88 Olds is a bear. Some dude tried to rip off my
        Cutlass & tore up the steering column. I replaced the entire column
        from a junkyard. The color matched, the cruise control worked (which
        didn't before), and I got an ignition key with the column. I spent
        about $80.00, and it took me about 30 minutes. If your'e selling it,
        you might consider that route.