914Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: 4.9L performance parts

  • John Brody
    Dec 8, 2003
      I think he's referring to spark timing; if you advance spark timing without telling the ECM, it will not have a valid point of reference -- so whatever adjustments it makes will not necessarily accomplish what it's trying to do.

      As far as adjusting the cam timing, you cannot do it by jumping a tooth on the cam gear.  This will not give you the resolution that you need to adjust it properly.  The proper way to adjust cam timing is with an aftermarket timing set that will have various offset keyways, in increments of 1 to 3 degrees.  Furthermore, my guess is that adjusting the stock camshaft one way or the other will severely kill low or high end; if you really want to get specific with cam timing, you probably want an aftermarket cam shaft too.

      John

      shwgidy <shwgidy@...> wrote:
      You mean rotating the camshaft a gear tooth or two (which would be 2-
      5degrees), right?  I'm sorry I've never done this, but Ive sort-of
      seen it done on other engines...

      -Brian

      Oh yeah and what about that trick where you put a resistor in line
      with the MAP sensor and get the engine to think there is more air
      than there really is?  I have seen a guy selling this trick on ebay
      for a couple of bucks...

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Scott