1716Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: building your own intake

  • Jacob Vogelpohl
    Aug 27, 2005
      in the end im lookin for 500 hp and 600 ftlbs 10.5-1 comp. with the 15 series cam from mts
      RPM Range; 2200-5400 / Advertised Duration Range; 286-295 / Duration @ .050 Range: 230-238 / Valve Lift Range: .540"- .550"

      so 5500-5800 may be pushing it..im pullin out a lt-1 350 and replacing it with the cad 500 and i want it to look modern, serpentine belts and everything, do the newer b-bodys (91-96) have the same mounts as the older ones? i originally had this 500 in my 83 delta 88 and she's gone frame stands n all... i beleave i got them out of a 77 coupe deville anyways will those same frame stands bolt in??

      david brode <dbrode@...> wrote:
      Jacob,

      Square [actually rectangle] tubing would work, but I have no idea how
      you would bend it at home.

      Realize that the ideal runner would be larger at the plenum, and
      taper as it goes to the valve. You can find info out there, as well
      as books on intake manifold design.

      Remember the ACME intake. It had long ports that did not taper. Made
      very good mid-range, but even with two fours, it killed top end bad.
      Iirc, it peaked at 4000 or so.

      There's all sorts of engineering-eze used to size a plenum.

      Finally, if I was going to port efi a caddy, I'd use a 2115 edel, and
      get the thing running, then worry about building the "ideal" intake
      later. A stock edel isn't going to allow 5800 on a 500", but then
      neither will iron heads, unless they are ported by someone that
      really knows what they are doing. Imo, fwiw, the camshaft needed for
      a 5500-5800 rpm caddy and most home-brew efi systems aren't going to
      like each other.
      Dave

      Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
      > hmm.. how about square tubing to match the ports? and how big
      should i make the plenium (can't spell sorry) and how can i bend the
      tubing at home?

      > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
      >
      > Dry = no fuel in the intake, as in tbi.
      >
      > Not sure, but I doubt that 2" o.d. would feed a 5500-5800 rpm 500.
      > Dave
      >

      > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
      > > what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi
      port
      > fuel injection, not tbi,  wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told
      and
      > i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how
      do
      > i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want
      > kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end
      > either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM
      > >
      > > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
      > >
      > > You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could
      cross
      > the
      > > runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into
      > the
      > > side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
      > > intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
      > > Dave
      > >

      > > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
      > > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i
      want
      > > build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in
      > my 94
      > > buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram
      > style
      > > with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a
      > street
      > > engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end
      > torqe?
      > > >

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > >  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

      > > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

      > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.

      > > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

      Service.

      http://mail.yahoo.com