1421Re: The '49-'62 V8... anything out there?

    Dec 11, 2004

      The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
      been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like 107cc
      or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.

      CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1, and
      the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
      raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
      change would give 9.25-1.

      It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
      compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.

      much about the seemingly low hp. ratings, in actual
      > performance in a light vehicle there is not of much noticable
      > difference, you could mill the heads but a better choice is to swap
      > on a set of 425 heads, compression will be about 10:5 and will give
      > you and easy 40 hp more, not the best breathing for all out racing,
      > but fine up to around 4500 rpm, making for strong street
      > cheap, next best change is a good cam, then an Edelbrock intake.
      > Your 472 Trans will bolt right up.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic