      Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 7:51 PM
      Subject: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

      Just an update.... I am still have trouble keeping cool........I have
      a new radiator, new fan, new clutch, new waterpump, new thermostat.
      The head gaskets are new(rebuilt motor) and the cooling system passes
      a leak down test.  I still don't think there is enough air flowing
      through the radiator.  I am stuck.  The car even runs warm at 65 mph,
      there is plenty of  air hitting the radiator at that speed.  Does
      anyone have any ideas!?!????  It hasn't over heated yet, but I am
      more than confident if I took it on a trip I would have trouble.
      Cody, did you have any problems keeping the 472 cool?
      Thanks again,
      Mike Pascino

      --- In
      Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"
      <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > Both cars have shrouds, one from an 1980 toronado, one from a 1979
      > eldo, both bolt on and look factory. I may remove one and take it
      > down the highway.  The factory shroud is mostly flat on the last 5
      > inchs of the shroud.  I guess it's possible it's restricting
      airflow,
      > but I doubt it since it sits 2-3 inches away from teh radiator.
      > Thanks,
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
      > <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
      > > durring the swap, did you remove the fan shroud?
      > >
      > > often, the shroud has quite an impact on the air flow.
      > >
      > > if there isnt one, try to fabricate one and se if it helps
      > >
      > > mpascino_ny <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > > Hello again everyone, I have a 1985 eldorado and a 1985 seville,
      > both
      > > cars have olds 350s with mild mods, one is MPI, both have 325-
      > 4l's.
      > > I have never really had any problems to speak of with the cars,
      > more
      > > of just pet pevvs I guess.  Both cars have 3 core radiators,
      which
      > in
      > > theroy should be more than enough to keep em running cool.  Each
      > > summer season that has gone by, both cars have minor trouble
      > running
      > > cool.  Both radiators are roughly 5 years old, and have been
      > reguarly
      > > flushed.  I have measured the temps across the radiator with an
      IR
      > > probe and found it to be pretty uniform.  Both cars have
      mechanical
      > > clutch fans, both newer.  The cars only start to run warm when on
      > the
      > > highway.  Around town isn't really a problem.  I can't understand
      > > what could possibly be the problem.  I am using fan shroud off a
      > 1980
      > > toronado, which is a direct bolt on.  Once I start to run warm, I
      > > find the radiator temp is about equal to the engine itself,
      > > suggesting I am not getting enough air flow to cool the radiator
      > > down.  There is nothing in front of the radiator or evaporator
      for
      > > the AC to restrict air flow.  Has anyone else had this problem?
      Is
      > > it possible there is not enough room for air to flow through the
      > > engine compartment?  I seem to think the problem was not existant
      > > when I first did the swap, but I also didn't drive either vehicle
      > > much back then, and prob not much during the hot summer days.
      The
      > > eldorado is at the point where I can not drive it anymore.  I
      have
      > > 160 degree thermostat in it, and when I drive it easy, it still
      > runs
      > > up to 190 degrees within 15 minutes.  Sorry for the long message
      > but
      > > I am stuck.  One car is set up similar to a 1979 eldo, cooling
      > system
      > > and all.  Does anyone know if they had cooling problems from the
      > > factory.  I just don't see how at 70 MPH how I could not have
      > enough
      > > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand
      new
      > > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even
      having
      > > one of mine recored with 4 cores.  Cody, do you have any trouble
      > > keeping the 472 cool?  Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
      > > Mike Pascino
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.
      > >

      > > This email contains proprietary information and may be
      > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
      > you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
      > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
      this
      > message in error, please delete it immediately.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic