1223Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

  • mpascino_ny
    Jul 18, 2004
      Both cars have shrouds, one from an 1980 toronado, one from a 1979
      eldo, both bolt on and look factory. I may remove one and take it
      down the highway. The factory shroud is mostly flat on the last 5
      inchs of the shroud. I guess it's possible it's restricting airflow,
      but I doubt it since it sits 2-3 inches away from teh radiator.
      Thanks,
      Mike

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
      <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
      > durring the swap, did you remove the fan shroud?
      >
      > often, the shroud has quite an impact on the air flow.
      >
      > if there isnt one, try to fabricate one and se if it helps
      >
      > mpascino_ny <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > Hello again everyone, I have a 1985 eldorado and a 1985 seville,
      both
      > cars have olds 350s with mild mods, one is MPI, both have 325-
      4l's.
      > I have never really had any problems to speak of with the cars,
      more
      > of just pet pevvs I guess. Both cars have 3 core radiators, which
      in
      > theroy should be more than enough to keep em running cool. Each
      > summer season that has gone by, both cars have minor trouble
      running
      > cool. Both radiators are roughly 5 years old, and have been
      reguarly
      > flushed. I have measured the temps across the radiator with an IR
      > probe and found it to be pretty uniform. Both cars have mechanical
      > clutch fans, both newer. The cars only start to run warm when on
      the
      > highway. Around town isn't really a problem. I can't understand
      > what could possibly be the problem. I am using fan shroud off a
      1980
      > toronado, which is a direct bolt on. Once I start to run warm, I
      > find the radiator temp is about equal to the engine itself,
      > suggesting I am not getting enough air flow to cool the radiator
      > down. There is nothing in front of the radiator or evaporator for
      > the AC to restrict air flow. Has anyone else had this problem? Is
      > it possible there is not enough room for air to flow through the
      > engine compartment? I seem to think the problem was not existant
      > when I first did the swap, but I also didn't drive either vehicle
      > much back then, and prob not much during the hot summer days. The
      > eldorado is at the point where I can not drive it anymore. I have
      > 160 degree thermostat in it, and when I drive it easy, it still
      runs
      > up to 190 degrees within 15 minutes. Sorry for the long message
      but
      > I am stuck. One car is set up similar to a 1979 eldo, cooling
      system
      > and all. Does anyone know if they had cooling problems from the
      > factory. I just don't see how at 70 MPH how I could not have
      enough
      > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand new
      > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even having
      > one of mine recored with 4 cores. Cody, do you have any trouble
      > keeping the 472 cool? Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
      > Mike Pascino
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > This email contains proprietary information and may be
      confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
      copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
      message in error, please delete it immediately.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic