1174Re: 390 blueprinting

  • hottrod41
    Jun 4, 2004
      ---Greg,

      I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine
      would make that comment about it being "old iron". Blueprinting,
      which is simply checking all the clearances to factory specifications
      is no more difficult on a Caddy 390 than any other engine. Actually,
      most parts ordered fall within these specs but should be checked
      while assembling the engine. I have five Caddy 390's in 3 1959
      Caddys, a 1961, a 1962, and they are no more difficult to rebuild
      than any other motor.

      Rod and main bearings in most all motors have a clearance of .002
      inch, crankshaft journals should be checked for any out of round
      condition with a micrometer, and basically any correct engine
      building process would be called blueprinting. It is inconceivable to
      me that any mechanic would simply assemble the parts in an engine and
      not check any clearances, but evidently it is done all the time. Most
      general repair shops these days just seem to see how fast they can
      slam the jobs in and out.

      I have built a lot of oddball engines for years. One of the rule of
      thumb practices regarding having a crank remachined is if your
      fingernail catches on any bearing journal surface, it should be
      machined to the next oversize bearing, most generally .010 inch, .020
      inch, or .030 inch.

      If you have some questions, please e-mail me at hottrod41@...
      I also have a website up at http://geocities.com/hottrodscars

      Also for parts availability, I have subscribed to Hemmings Motor News
      for about 30 years. Their online site is http://hemmings.com

      hottrod

      In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "rockinrye"
      <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
      > Hey,
      > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
      > I may even be interested in some custom work.
      > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
      > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
      > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these motors
      > and the right equipment.
      >
      > Much appreciated,
      > Greg
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic