Re: [CU68-08Event] Bruce Dale Memorial

  • Paul Cronin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      I filmed a wonderful interview with Bruce a few years ago, and have several photos of him from 68. He told a powerful story about the dean of the architecture school (Kenneth Smith) knocking on the door of Avery once the building had been barricaded. Bruce went to talk to him, and explained he couldn't let Smith in. Apparently the only thing Smith was concerned about was the library, and grabbed Bruce's arm as the door was closed in his face. "Just take care of the books," he said. The Avery library, one of the finest architectural collections in the world, was, of course, untouched.

      A Time to Stir, my film about Columbia 68, progresses. Four hundred interviews and thirty thousand photos have been assembled. The plan is to have it ready for the 50th anniversary.

      Paul Cronin
      pauljcronin@...

      On 7 March 2013 05:00, Hilton <obenzinger@...> wrote:

      Nancy Biberman sent me an email that Bruce Dale passed away. He was an architecture student who took part in the occupation of Avery Hall during the occupation and strike.

      There will be a memorial for Bruce Dale
      Saturday, March 16, 2013
      3pm

      South Presbyterian Church
      343 Broadway
      Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522

      Hilton

    • Paul Cronin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
        By the way, they are working hard to digitize the entire run of the Spectator. You can download every issue from 1968 here:

        http://spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu/

        Saturday, March 16, 2013
        3pm

        South Presbyterian Church