1968er Update

  • Hilton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2010
      I try to keep abreast of recent doings by participants in the occupation and strike in 1968. But I can only catch what I notice. If you're engaged in something or know of someone doing something noteworthy, let us know or send the news to me and I'll incorporate it in updates.

      In any case, Laurie Anderson, the musician/performance artist, performed and spoke at Stanford last week. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to attend. She couldn't make the conference in 2008 because she was on tour in Europe, but she sent her greetings.

      Paul Berman just published a book, "The Flight of the Intellectuals," skewering intellectuals, particularly Ian Buruma and the New York Review of Books for, in his opinion, coddling Islamic terrorist sympathizers, particularly Tariq Ramadan. Paul came to the conference, had a great time dancing at the party at Havana Central/West End. I'm sure there's lots of disagreements from many -- particularly because he supported the Iraq war as "liberal hawk." I haven't read the book, but there's a sympathetic article in the NY Times. Here's the web address:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/books/03book.html?th&emc=th

      There was another article a few days later about the irony of two book festivals happening simultaneously in Jerusalem (Israeli) and Ramallah (Palestinian) and how deep the divide is. The article spoke of the Jerusalem event with Paul Auster with Israeli author (and anti-occupation dissident) David Grossman. Paul noted how much things have degenerated since he was last in the area 13 orso years earlier, when talk of peace was in the air. Here's the web address for this article:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/world/middleeast/07jerusalem.html

      I find it interesting how 1968ers radiate in different directions, all linked by one experience (and the rest of their lives!).

      Hilton
    • Hilton
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2010
        I forgot to add that Mark Rudd, Bobby Seale and others joined the 40th anniversary commemoration of the Kent State massacre. Does anyone know if there have been activities about Jackson State?

        Hilton