The Rioters Are Back

  • hilton.obenzinger
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
      As the conference approaches, commentaries in The Spectator increase.
      The latest one is in a column by a rightwing student decrying that
      the "rioters" will be back. Of course, these "liberals" are welcome to
      come to the campus -- but the real heroes were the Majority Coalition.
      Actually, considering how vicious these types of things can get, it's
      relatively mild. Perhaps constrained by reality. Go to this url and
      it's in the last part of the column:

      http://www.columbiaspectator.com/node/30171

      Hilton
    • Steve Goldfield

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008

          The comments function of the Spectator web site is not functioning and their message says it will be up in a few weeks -- whenever that was posted. I hope that they've taken it down so that they can figure out a way to deal with flamers.

          Hilton

          At 08:06 PM 4/2/2008, Steve Goldfield wrote:

[...]

        • Thomas Wm. Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008

            Proofs of Unintelligent Design:
              1.  Wisdom teeth
              2.  Human appendix
              3.  Mosquitoes
              4.  George W. Bush

            Subject: Re: [CU68-08Event] The Rioters Are Back

            The rioters are back?  Can we order Molotov cocktails at the West End?

          • Cowperthwaite
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
              "Can we order Molotov cocktails at the West End?"
              Capitalism has already tossed its own Molotov cocktails at
              that old spot. Stephan

              --- In CU68-08Event@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Wm. Hamilton"
              <tham153@...> wrote:

              > http://www.changingthetimes.net/authors/TOMHAMILTON.htm
              >
              > Proofs of Unintelligent Design:
              > 1. Wisdom teeth
              > 2. Human appendix
              > 3. Mosquitoes
              > 4. George W. Bush
              >
              > Subject: Re: [CU68-08Event] The Rioters Are Back
              >
              > The rioters are back? Can we order Molotov cocktails at the West
              End?
              > Going green? See the top 12 foods to eat organic.
              > http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?
              gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A

            • laurapinsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                Chris Kulawik, the kid who wrote "The Rioters are Back" is the student
                who brought the Minutemen, David Horowitz, and "Islamo-facism" week to
                Columbia.
              • almlieliz
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2008
                  My impression from research is that the "majority" didn't disagree
                  with the demands, they just also didn't like the tactics. And that
                  there was a portion that didn't like the demands either.

                  --Young historian

                  --- In CU68-08Event@yahoogroups.com, Steve Goldfield <stevesage@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Interesting, I created a login on the site and tried to post a
                  comment since his facts are obviously wrong. The site did not allow
                  comments so I had to Email them in. How is it that the strike
                  demands, except for amnesty, won majorities in the referendum
                  conducted by the Columbia University Student Council, yet
                  the "Majority Coalition," which opposed the demands, was the
                  majority? Perhaps if we called them the Bolshevik Coalition,
                  conservatives would check out what actually happened? Nah,
                  conservatives never care about facts.

                  > "hilton.obenzinger" <obenzinger@...>
                  wrote: As the conference approaches,
                  commentaries in The Spectator increase.
                  > The latest one is in a column by a rightwing student decrying
                  that
                  > the "rioters" will be back. Of course, these "liberals" are
                  welcome to
                  > come to the campus -- but the real heroes were the Majority
                  Coalition.
                  > Actually, considering how vicious these types of things can get,
                  it's
                  > relatively mild. Perhaps constrained by reality. Go to this url
                  and
                  > it's in the last part of the column:
                  >
                  > http://www.columbiaspectator.com/node/30171
                  >
                  > Hilton
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

                • Steve Goldfield
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 15, 2008
                    Rather than deal with impressions, which may be misleading, deal with the referendum results, which had a huge participation. As I recall--this could be checked--votes were something like 6,000 to 5,000 in favor of the substance
                    demands on IDA and the gym and so forth but only negative on amnesty,
                    which you could interpret as an unwillingness to endorse tactics. There were
                    six strike demands, including amnesty, and five had majorities in favor.

                    wrote:

                    > Interesting, I created a login on the site and tried to post a
                    comment since his facts are obviously wrong. The site did not allow
                    comments so I had to Email them in. How is it that the strike
                    demands, except for amnesty, won majorities in the referendum
                    conducted by the Columbia University Student Council, yet
                    the "Majority Coalition," which opposed the demands, was the
                    majority? Perhaps if we called them the Bolshevik Coalition,
                    conservatives would check out what actually happened? Nah,
                    conservatives never care about facts.

                    > "hilton.obenzinger" <obenzinger@ ...>
                    wrote: As the conference approaches,
                    commentaries in The Spectator increase.
                    > The latest one is in a column by a rightwing student decrying
                    that
                    > the "rioters" will be back. Of course, these "liberals" are
                    welcome to
                    > come to the campus -- but the real heroes were the Majority
                    Coalition.
                    > Actually, considering how vicious these types of things can get,
                    it's
                    > relatively mild. Perhaps constrained by reality. Go to this url
                    and
                    > it's in the last part of the column:
                    >
                    > http://www.columbia spectator. com/node/ 30171
                    >
                    > Hilton

                    > You rock. That's why Blockbuster' s offering you one month of
                    Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

                    between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

                  • almlieliz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 15, 2008
                      By "impressions" I was leaving room for counter-impressions, the
                      surveys asked about supporting the tactics of SDS too, and the
                      majority were against the tactics as well as amnesty--probably linked.