ExactRail Announced CSX P-S 7315 60' Waffleside Box Car

  • David R. Olsen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hey guys,

      Back in January, I mentioned that the new ExactRail P-S 7315 waffleside box car was a match for a group of former L&N cars still in service with CSX. ExactRail just posted a new announcement on their website showing both the L&N and the CSX versions of this model - here's the link to the CSX info:

      http://www.exactrail.com/p-s-7315-waffle-box-car-csxt

      This model matches the cars from this ex-L&N series:

      L&N 420000-420014 (blt 12/74) to SBD 165400-165413 to CSXT 165400-165413

      http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2045803

      I'll probably buy a couple undecs and make the modifications to the side sill to match the cars in the second ex-L&N series:

      L&N 420015-420024 (blt 12/74) to SBD 165414-165423 to CSXT 165414-165423

      http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=321283

      I may actually consider modifying the sill on a couple of the factory-painted cars though, and just renumber them for the second series. Either way, since there were only 14 cars in the first group, and ExactRail is offering 6 of those numbers, I definitely don't need more than a couple of these to maintain a realistic ratio in the box car fleet. I'd still like to support a quality CSX model though, so I'll probably buy a couple more than I need...

      It looks like ExactRail used the same shade of blue that they used on the P-S 5277 50' waffleside box car. I never bought any of those (bought undecs instead) - anyone have an opinion on how that blue looks? The photos make it look kind of light, but it should be easy to darken / dirty up a bit.

      I'll try to compare the model photos to some prototype pictures and see how the lettering looks, but it's nice to see them offer these.

      Dave Olsen
      Alexandria, VA
    • Josh Blevins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2011
        I'm really digging the L&N painted cars.  The L&N and CSX cars both look good.  I keep trying to tell myself that I don't need anymore box cars.  I need more hoppers.

        Josh Blevins
        Charlotte NC

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            CSXMODELS-digest@yahoogroups.com
            CSXMODELS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David R. Olsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2011
          On Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Josh Blevins wrote:
          >I'm really digging the L&N painted cars. The L&N and CSX cars both look good.

          Josh - Unfortunately I just compared the lettering on the L&N model to the photo in the L&N Color Guide and noticed that ExactRail picked numbers from the second series of L&N cars, L&N 420015-420024, which have the notched side sill instead of the straight sill like the model (and the first group of L&N cars). It's strange that they got the CSX numbers right (from series CSXT 165400-165413), but they messed up the L&N numbers and didn't take them from the corresponding series (L&N 420000-420014). One of the numbers they chose, L&N 420019, is the exact car (with notched side sills) shown in the L&N Color Guide photograph.

          Bummer...

          Dave Olsen
          Alexandria, VA
        • runeight645
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
            Josh, good to see you post. Bring friends! It feels like a private chat room for Dave, Dan, and I!

            Dave, if the blue is indeed the same as the waffles, I was pretty unhappy with it. Well, the first run anyway. I'm not sure if they changed the color at all for the big-logo second run; on their site, subject to lighting, it almost appears as they could've, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it just wasn't the right "temperature" of blue. Not a function of the right amount of fade, it just wasn't the right tone of blue during any point in a CSX boxcars paint-fading cycle. I ranted about it on the MFCL and that was what started the ridiculous "wrong sun angle" thread about a year ago.

            As far as the wrong L&N numbers, it is to the point of chronic and unacceptable. Manuf. make mistakes, sure. But ExactRail's artwork is consistently riddled with errors in an obvious display of sub-standard R&D before releasing new products to market. The tradeoff of "protecting" their release from hypothetical predatory copycats or marketing weaknesses and losing QA from the 5 minutes it takes a knowledgeable and informed prototype modeler to discover the obvious errors in their cars doesn't seem worth it. Is it exciting to learn about the release of a car you really need and be able to have it in your hands a week later? Absolutely! Would I rather have to wait six months or more after I know about it for it to actually be in the ballpark of correct? Absolutely more! If I had a need for the L&N cars, I'd be at wit's end with EXR.

            Yes, I know they were still sell. What this frustrating argument fails to address is that with minimal, or negligible, additional effort and time in research, the cars could be correct, and they could sell, wait for it......EVEN MORE! The amount of cars by all manufacturers that I've passed on due to easily-correctable errors (not including chosen foobies) probably equals close to the stock I DO have. I know I'm one person and our proto-modeling niche is [supposedly] small, but it's got to add up to a relevant decrease in sales across the board.

            Brian B.

            --- In CSXMODELS@yahoogroups.com, Josh Blevins <stillbre@...> wrote:

            > I'm really digging the L&N painted cars.  The L&N and CSX cars both look good.  I keep trying to tell myself that I don't need anymore box cars.  I need more hoppers.
            >
            > Josh Blevins
            > Charlotte NC
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Dan R.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
              I've never seen any of these CSX boxcars, but then again since CSX only has 14 I'm not shocked.  So the issue is that from an accurate representation standpoint none of us probably even need this car.  I think you'll actually be seeing another freight car purge from me in the fall, I still have way too many freight cars, though deciding to model the Sacramento Valley RR sure has helped me define what I need and don't need.  The good thing is that I will be able to use almost all the boxcars I already have, which is probably why I like this little RR so much.  Also its another good way to model second or third hand painted out PS 4750's, ACF 4650's, PS 4740's, Thrall 4750's, and Evans 4780's, mainly with IFRX reporting marks in Pumice service.  Also I think that me trying to model SP was shortlived too and I really do just enjoy 4 axle power and switching, another reason the SAV is a perfect fit.  The good news is after TBOX, FBOX/RBOX, both NS and CSX boxcars are the most common cars seen on this rr, so I will still be an active CSX 50' boxcar modeler.  :)

              Dan

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
                On Jun 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Brian Bennett <pilotbrianb@...> wrote:
                >Dave, if the blue is indeed the same as the waffles, I was pretty unhappy
                >with it. Well, the first run anyway. I'm not sure if they changed the
                >color at all for the big-logo second run; on their site, subject to
                >lighting, it almost appears as they could've, but I'm not sure. Anyway,
                >it just wasn't the right "temperature" of blue. Not a function of the
                >right amount of fade, it just wasn't the right tone of blue during any
                >point in a CSX boxcars paint-fading cycle. I ranted about it on the MFCL
                >and that was what started the ridiculous "wrong sun angle" thread about a
                >year ago.

                Thanks for the feedback, Brian. It's really hard to tell from the website photos whether the blue is the same and how it might look under normal light. I'm torn about buying these factory-painted cars vs. ordering undecorated kits. I want the color to look right, but it wouldn't be much fun to decal over top of all those waffles, if I can avoid it. I may just order the factory-painted cars and pick up undecs later if they don't look right.

                >As far as the wrong L&N numbers, it is to the point of chronic and
                >unacceptable.

                I was pretty incredulous when I realized that the numbers were wrong - I didn't even bother to check at first, because I saw that the CSX numbers were correct, so I assumed they used the correct L&N series that corresponds to the CSX numbers. I was sure that I sent Blaine an email after the original P-S 7315 announcement to give him the L&N / SBD / CSXT roster info, but maybe I forgot (I haven't been able to find a sent message). Either way, the information was posted on several lists where he participates. I've offered in the past to help with any CSX information they may need in the future, but they seem to be pretty tight-lipped, as you described.

                Dave Olsen
                Alexandria, VA