CRWROPPS-B returns tomorrow, January 4, FAQ

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      Dear Subscribers:
      The Creative Writers Opportunities List (CRWROPPS-B) will return from hiatus
      tomorrow (January 4, 2008). In the meantime, please look over the Frequently
      Asked Questions sheet about the list. It will definitely help you if you are
      a new subscriber, and will refresh your memory if you are a longtime
      subscriber.

      Creative Writers Opportunities List-Serve (CRWROPPS-B):
      Frequently Asked Questions (Please save for future reference)

      1) How do I post a message on the list?

      Only the list-serve moderator may post a message to the list.
      This is not a list for conversations among writers.

      If you are an editor or contest organizer who would like to post an
      announcement on the list, send it to the list moderator at
      <crwropps(at)aol.com> (Replace (at) with@).

      Please send the announcement in the body of an e-mail message;
      do not send attachments. No live links in the announcements, please.

      Do not use fancy fonts or color in the body of the announcement.
      Do not send me anything other than calls for submissions or literary contest
      announcements--anything other than calls for submissions/literary contest
      announcements will not be posted.

      The moderator reserves the right not to post announcements that
      exploit writers.

      2) How do I enter contests posted on the list?

      Please DON'T send me any entries/submissions for or queries about any of the
      contests/publication opportunities posted on CRWROPPS-B. Remember, I'm the
      person posting the information, not the judge of all these contests. Please
      DO NOT hit the reply button and send me your entries/submissions
      instead, read each posting carefully to see how entries are accepted
      (whether entries are accepted via e-mail or postal mail).
      Please read each posting carefully to determine
      who should receive your creative submissions or questions about the posted
      opportunities, and send those submissions and/or queries on to the
      appropriate editors or contest coordinators. Please don't send your work to
      me.

      3) How do you join this list?

      Instructions for joining the list:

      Go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crwropps-b
      and click on "Join This Group." Follow the on-screen
      prompts to join.

      or
      Send a blank e-mail to
      crwropps-b-subscribe(at)yahoogroups.com
      (replace (at) with @)

      You will be sent an e-mail message with further instructions on how to join
      the list.

      The Topica.com version of this list no longer exists.

      4) Where can I go to read previous postings?

      List Archives:

      CRWROPPS-B:
      Scroll down the page to area marked <Message History.>
      (accessible to everyone)

      5) How can I send CRWROPPS-B messages to friends?

      Please don't hit the reply button if you wish to forward a message to a
      friend who is off-list. If you hit the reply button instead of the forward
      button, I'll receive the personal correspondence that you intended for
      someone else.

      You can always point a friend who is off-list to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crwropps-b

      to see messages without joining the list.

      6) Can I receive only the postings in the genre I'm interested in?

      It is not possible for the moderator to send individual subscribers selected
      messages for just one of the genres covered by CRWROPPS-B--it is not
      possible, for example, to send one subscriber only the poetry messages, or
      another only the fiction messages. Furthermore, quite a few contests listed
      on
      CRWROPPS-B are multigenre contests, with categories in fiction, nonfiction,
      and poetry.
      The list is all-or-nothing list, and the moderator is committed to
      sending messages of interest in fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

      If you do not wish to receive e-mail, you should switch your subscription to
      "Web Only" and go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crwropps-b
      to read each day's new postings online.

      CRWROPPS-B is also available in "daily digest" format--meaning you can
      receive one long posting of all of a single day's messages. Contact the
      moderator at<crwropps(at)aol.com> and she will switch your subscription
      to digest format if you prefer to receive only one long message per day.

      7) Can you recommend which contests are best to enter?

      It is not possible for the moderator to supply advice on which contests would
      be suitable for any individual writer's publication needs. For
      recommendations on the merits of individual contests, please consult
      Winningwriters.com (a paid service).

      8) What does (replace (at) with @) mean?

      Yahoogroups doesn't list complete e-mail addresses in postings to prevent
      spam attacks on those addresses. Thus, when an e-mail address is listed in a
      posting, the designation (replace (at) with @) is used. Simply replace (at)
      in the address with @ and send the e-mail message.
      Do not send the submission to the list moderator.

      9) What does "List on Hiatus" mean?
      If the CRWROPPS-B list is on hiatus, no messages will be posted to the list
      for the duration of the hiatus, nor can subscription issues be resolved. The
      list moderator requests that no messages for subscription changes or for
      posting
      be sent to <crwropps(at)aol.com>during hiatus periods. During hiatus periods,
      the moderator has no or limited access to e-mail, and thus cannot solve
      subscription problems until the hiatus is over.

      10) Can I stay on the list-serve while on vacation?

      Sure. If you e-mail the list moderator before your vacation begins, she can
      set your subscription to <OFF>while you are away so that the e-mail messages
      do not accumulate and crowd your in-box. When you return, simply e-mail the
      moderator at <crwropps(at)aol.com> with a message that you would like your
      subscription
      restarted.

      11) Who is behind this list?

      The CRWROPPS-B list is a one-woman, non-profit, volunteer operation--
      one writer's way of helping other writers. In corresponding with
      the list moderator regarding any aspect of this service, your patience
      and courtesy is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Allison Joseph
      CRWROPPS Moderator