poetry book contest: Main Street Rag

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10 7:31 AM
      Main Street Rag's Annual Poetry Book Award
      http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html

      Winner of the 2007 MSR Poetry Book Award:
      The Goodbye You Dream of by Heather Davis (Alexandria, VA).
      Finalists/Runners up:
      Apparition Wren by Maureen Alsop (Palm Springs, CA)
      Deadpan by K.A. Holt (Fort Worth, TX)
      The Dream of Leaving by Sharon Leiter (Palmyra, VA)
      Dreaming of a Dependable Force by Timothy Mayo (Putney, VT)
      The Flower Sermon by David Manning (Cary, NC)
      Game Theory by James Himelsbach (New York, NY)
      Living in Free Fall by Jan Wesley (Austin, TX)
      Riding Free in the Blue Studebaker by Janell Moon (Emeryville, CA)
      Tongue and Groove by Chuck Rybak (Oneida, WI)
      ALL finalists will be offered book publication. We thank everyone who chose
      to participate in this process since it is the way we prefer to select
      manuscripts for publication.
      Also being offered publication:
      The Death of the Poem and other paragraphs by Justin Courter (Astoria, NY)

      NEXT DEADLINE:
      January 31, 2008
      Reading Fee: $20, $25 if you want to receive a copy of the winning book.
      ****Notification in April for Winter 2008/2009 publication.
      Winner receives 50 books and $1000. Runners up also considered for
      publication.
      Send between 48 and 80 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page, 12
      point type in an easily readable font like Arial or Times New Roman. Do not
      include Table of Contents in page count and print/submit on a letter size sheet of
      paper.
      Include a separate cover letter with manuscript title, author's name, and all
      pertinent contact information. Author’s name should not appear anywhere in
      manuscript.
      Our goal is "blind" judging. Do Not Include Dedication and/or
      Credits/Acknowledgements Pages in entry. For the purpose of fairness, it is important that
      judges know as little about the author as possible and these pages are not
      relevant to the judging process. If they should accidentally slip through the
      registration area, readers are instructed to disqualify manuscripts that arrive
      with credits, acknowledgements, or author's name on them anywhere. FOUR
      MANUSCRIPTS were disqualified in 2005 for diregarding this guideline and all had gotten
      to the semi-finalist round before they were disqualified (so they were good
      manuscripts). We take anonymity in judging seriously, if you don't and would
      prefer your work be judged on the basis of your reputation or credentials, there
      are thousands of other contests, surely one of them will accommodate you.
      For notification of receipt, entries can include a post card, but if they
      include an email address, we will send a verification of receipt via email the
      day it arrives. Entries should include a #10 SASE ( This is a standard business
      size: 4 X 10) for winner notification if they do not choose to be notified by
      email. Please not not waste postage on a 9 X 12 since no manuscripts will be
      returned regardless of what size envelope is provided.
      No restriction on content style or subject--we're looking for the best
      manuscript.
      *Although MSR frowns on simultaneous submissions for our magazine, it is
      acceptable for our book contests. Upon notification, however, winner must
      immediately withdraw his/her mss from consideration elsewhere.
      Mailing Instructions:
      All checks should be made payable to Main Street Rag, PO BOX 690100,
      Charlotte, NC 28227-7001.
      We recommend using US Postal Service Media Mail (within the US), but that
      takes longer to arrive, so DO NOT send it Media Mail if you are mailing it on or
      near the deadline. Why? because we distribute the LAST manuscripts to first
      round readers on February 8. Anything that has not arrived by the day before
      (February 7) will be excluded and the check returned in the SASE (if one has been
      provided--otherwise, it will be shredded).
      DO NOT use clips or binding of any kind. We have THOUSANDS of clips here from
      years of submissions and we remove anything that comes in a binder and throw
      away the binder. If you want to pay for a binder and the shipping to get it
      here only to have it thrown away, that's your choice. It will not go to any
      readers in a binder of any kind.
      DO NOT send anything that must be signed for (Signature Receipt or Express
      Mail) since it means having to stand in line to receive it (and we won't).

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
        Main Street Rag's
        Annual Poetry Book Award
        http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html

        NEXT DEADLINE:
        January 31, 2008
        Reading Fee: $20/entry, $25 for those who want to receive a copy of the
[...]

        relevant to the judging process. In the past, if these items accidentally slipped
        through registration, readers were instructed to disqualify manuscripts that
        arrive with credits, acknowledgements, or author's name on them anywhere. This
        year we have changed that rule. Since our primary goal for the MSR Poetry Book
        Award is to select manuscripts for publication, we will no longer disqualify
        those who blatantly disregard the rules. They can't win, but they will still be

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 16 8:21 AM
          Main Street Rag Poetry Book Contest

          http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html

          NEXT DEADLINE:
          January 31, 2009
          Reading Fee: $20/entry, $25 for those who want to receive a copy of the winning book.

          ****Notification in April for Winter 2009/2010 publication. ****

          Winner receives 50 books and $1000. Runners up also considered for publication.

          Send between 48 and 80 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page, 12 point type in an easily readable font like Arial or Times New Roman. Do not include Table of Contents in page count and print/submit on a letter size sheet of paper.

          Include a separate cover letter with manuscript title, author's name, and all pertinent contact information. Author’s name should not appear anywhere in manuscript.

          Our goal is "blind" judging. Do Not Include Dedication and/or Credits/Acknowledgements Pages in entry. For the purpose of fairness, it is important that judges know as little about the author as possible and these pages are not relevant to the judging process. In the past, if these items accidentally slipped through registration, readers were instructed to disqualify manuscripts that arrive with credits, acknowledgements, or author's name on them anywhere. This year we have changed that rule. Since our primary goal for the MSR Poetry Book Award is to select manuscripts for publication, we will no longer disqualify those who blatantly disregard the rules. They can't win, but they will still be considered for publication.

[...]

          DO NOT use clips or binding of any kind. We have THOUSANDS of clips here from years of submissions and we remove anything that comes in a binder and throw away the binder. If you want to pay for a binder and20the shipping to get it here only to have it thrown away, that's your choice. It will not go to any readers in a binder of any kind.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
            Main Street Rag's Annual Poetry Book Award

            http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html#anchor284395

            NEXT DEADLINE:
            January 31, 2009

            =

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 16 6:41 AM
              Main Street Rag's Annual Poetry Book Award
              http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html

              NEXT DEADLINE:
              January 31, 2011
              Reading Fee: $22/entry, $27 for those who want to receive a copy of the winning book.

              ****Notification in April for Winter 2011/2012 publication. ****

              Winner receives 50 books and $1000. Runners up also considered for publication.

              Send between 48 and 84 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page, 12 point type in an easily readable font like Arial or Times New Roman. Do not include Table of Contents in page count and print/submit on a letter size sheet of paper.

[...]

              DO NOT US Postal Service Media Mail. The USPS has changed its standards for Media Mail and is enforcing it much more readily than it once did. Use First class and if you are worried about it arriving, pay the extra 70 cents for Delivery Confirmation.

              DO NOT use clips or binding of any kind. We have THOUSANDS of clips here from years of submissions and we remove anything that comes in a binder or folder and throw away the binder or folder away. If you want to pay for those materials and the additional shipping to get the manuscript here only to have it thrown away, that's your choice. It will not go to any readers in a binder of any kind.

              DO NOT send anything that must be signed for (Signature Receipt or Express Mail) since it means having to stand in line to receive it and we don't have time for that--particularly on the days immediately preceeding and immediately after the postmark deadline. And please don't use FED EX to send anything to our physical location since their local drivers are literacy challenged (they don't read instructions and we may not receive what you send as a result).

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12 8:14 AM
                  Main Street Rag's Poetry Book Award Prize: $1,200.00. Entry fee: $25.00. Deadline: 01-31-2014. Send between 48 and 84 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page. No restriction on content style or subject. Winner receives 50 books and $1200. Runners up also considered for publication. The Main Street Rag Poetry Award is an annual full-length poetry book contest sponsored by Main Street Rag.

                  Detailed entry guidelines at:
                  http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 27, 2015
                    Poetry Book Award Contest, deadline
                    January 31, 2015

                    Submit your full-length poetry collection. Winner receives fifty books
                    and $1200. Finalists will be considered for publication.

                    http://www.mainstreetrag.com/PoBkCont.html

                    The link contains additional details.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2015

                      2016 Main Street Rag Poetry Book Award

                      Deadline: February 1, 2016
                      The 2016 Main Street Rag Poetry Book Award is looking for full-length collections (48-84 pages). Deadline is February 1 (postmark) for a Fall 2016 release. Prize: $1200 + 50 copies of winning book. Reading fee: $25. This is the 15th year for this contest. Past winners include Jim Ferris, Jennifer Sweeney, Leslie McGrath, Yehoshua November, Colin D. Halloran. One winner selected, but as many as 15 runners up/finalists offered publication. Manuscripts can be mailed or submitted via email. Guideline details, mailing and emailing addresses, and instructions for electronic file preparation are available on our website: MainStreetRag.com.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2016
                        2015 MAIN STREET RAG Poetry Book Award. Deadline: January 31. Length: 48–84 pages. Reading fee: $25. Prize: $1,200 and publication. All entries considered for publication; multiple manuscripts will be published. Send to: Main Street Rag, P.O. Box 690100, Charlotte, NC 28227-7001 or enter via e-mail. Detailed guidelines available on website: www.mainstreetrag.com.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27

                          2017 MAIN STREET RAG Poetry Book Award. Deadline: January 31. Length: 48–84 pages of poetry. Reading fee: $25; $1,200 prize plus publication. Blind judging. All entries considered for publication. Mailing address for hard copy entries: Main Street Rag, P.O. Box 690100, Charlotte, NC 28227-7001.For guideline details, online entry: www.mainstreetrag.com