my mom is my hero: call for true stories

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2007
      Call for Stories about Everyday Heroes
      My Mom is My Hero
      http://www.literarycottage.com/heroseries.html

      Being a mother often proves the most difficult, and the most important, job
      in the world; one that includes conflict but also brings rich — albeit often
      unspoken — rewards. In this anthology, we seek to honor real-life mothers and,
      therefore, want inspiring, true, personal stories that speak to the challenges,
      ultimately positive experiences, and extraordinary relationships between
      mothers and their children (mothers of all ages, i.e., grandmothers count). The
      majority of stories in this collection will be written from the adult child's
      point of view, but it is also acceptable to submit third person stories by
      authors who have intimate knowledge of the mother and her children. Also a woman
      who served as a mother figure, who played a significant role, or who performed a
      heroic deed may also be honored. Heroic deeds range from rescuing a child
      from physical peril to holding down a steady job and raising children with
      exceptional values or work ethics. As we will print very few stories focused on
      illness or dying, we encourage authors to choose another time that illustrates
      your mother’s unique character, drive, strength, dedication, tenderness,
      generosity, intelligence, humor, etc. Bring your mother to life on the page and show
      the world why she is worthy of accolades.
      Submission Deadline
      December 15, 2007
      $100 per published story, plus one copy of the book.*
      Early birds may indeed catch the worm!

      * The editor will select three stories in each anthology for an additional
      prize. The First Prize story will earn an additional $100; the Second Prize
      story will earn an additional $75; and the Third Prize story will earn an
      additional $50. The editor, not the publisher, is offering the prizes.

      Call for True Stories about Everyday Heroes
      Literary Cottage is compiling a new anthology series for Adams Media
      featuring uplifting, original, true stories about the experiences and relationships
      that inspired and enriched our lives, namely those with our mothers, our
      fathers, and our teachers (also mother figures, father figures, and mentors). These
      true, original slice-of-life stories will be written by people from all walks
      of life and will provide unique personal insights into powerful universal
      truths, as well as honor the "everyday hero" in their lives. Each anthology in the
      series will be divided to highlight the variety of ways real life mothers,
      teachers, and fathers go beyond the call of duty to heroism.
      Each Hero anthology will include a balanced mix of true stories of varied
      themes, such as:
           Extraordinary achievements and experiences of real life, ordinary
      teachers, mothers, and fathers.
           True life-changing, life-affirming, or life-defining experiences and
      relationships.
           Epiphany, synchronicity, serendipity.
           Finding/giving comfort in difficult times.
           Triumph over tragedy; overcoming adversity or challenges.
           Life's blessings and miracles, big and small.
           Finding the silver lining in a dark cloud; turning lemons into lemonade.
           Relationships and experiences that bring hope, understanding, healing.
           Catalysts for and examples of positive change; acts of kindness and
      compassion.
      850 - 1400 words.

      Stories must be original, true, uplifting, poignant, heartwarming, and/or
      humorous, and in English. The intended audience is mainstream adult readers.
      Please carefully review all of the Writer's Guidelines (below) prior to writing
      your story.
      Early submission is both suggested and appreciated!

      We are now seeking submissions for the following volumes:

      My Mom Is My Hero
      Being a mother can be the most difficult and important job in the world, one
      that often brings conflict but also brings many untold rewards. For this
      anthology in which we honor real-life mothers, we seek inspiring true, personal
      stories that speak to the challenges, positive experiences, and extraordinary
      relationships between mothers and their children (mothers of all ages and their
      adult children, i.e., grandmothers count). The majority of stories in this
      collection will be written from the adult child's point of view, but the book will
      also include some stories written by third parties with intimate knowledge of
      the mother and her children. Also a woman who served as a mother figure who
      played a significant role, or who performed a heroic deed can also be honored.
      Heroic deeds range from rescuing a child from physical peril to holding down a
      steady job and raising children with exceptional values or work ethics.
      SUBMISSION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15, 2007

      Early birds may indeed catch the worm!

      Please review the Writer's Guidelines (below) for additional details.

      My Dad Is My Hero
      This anthology celebrating the powerful bond between fathers and children
      will feature inspiring true stories that reveal the extraordinary impact fathers
      (or father figures) have on their children. We want stories that portray
      fathers as heroes in their children's eyes, as companions, helpers, messengers,
      healers, teachers, and inspirational forces in people's lives, as well as stories
      about the incredible, and the simple, yet vital, things that fathers (or
      father figures) do out of love for their children. Your story should illustrate
      that no one is more loyal, caring, inventive, loving, and heroic than your
      father (or father figure).
      SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 28, 2008

      Early birds may indeed catch the worm!

      Please also review the provided samples.

      Writer's Guidelines
      How to Create a Hero Story
      The Hero series will weave powerful life lessons into vividly told true
      tales. They are real-life (nonfiction) stories that will ideally read like fiction,
      but will always be true and embody a universal truth. They are true stories
      that reveal the positive aspects of close, familial relationships and teacher
      relationships: stories that inspire, entertain, and enlighten readers. We want
      true, everyday stories that bring tears of compassion and joy to our eyes,
      hope to our hearts, and nourishment to our souls. All stories must be true,
      original, creative, slice-of-life depictions of the most important and influential
      experiences and relationships with our teachers, mothers, and fathers.
      Tips for Writing a Hero Story
           Create an anecdotal story about a true event or series of event(s) that
      caused the person(s) you are writing about to have a profound and positive
      impact on you.
           Write a true personal story that embodies a universal truth.
           Show, don't tell. Color your story with action, imagery, dialog, and/or
      dramatic scenes. Minimize use of adjectives and adverbs. Make the reader
      experience the events and emotions portrayed.
           Write from the heart. Tell your story honestly, fully, and succinctly.
      Make each scene as real for the readers as it was for you and the person you
      are honoring.
           Begin with a strong lead that hooks the reader and that clearly and
      creatively introduces the main character(s), establishes the central theme of the
      story (plot), and sets the scene.
           Create a rich middle that depicts compelling life experiences and human
      emotions, in other words, dramatic action. The mid-section should include at
      least one compelling plot point (pivotal moment) as well as transitional scenes
      or other transitional devices that continually move the story forward and
      toward the conclusion.
           End with a satisfying conclusion that resolves the conflict/challenge in
      a positive way, leaves readers with an Aha! a Wow! or a Yes! moment.
           Build your story around a distinctive, compelling, and believable
      premise that weaves together the story and drives the plot forward.
           Use lively, descriptive language that is appropriate for the time,
      place, and people depicted in the story as well as for our mainstream adult
      readers.
           Read your story out loud and then revise it to remove anything that is
      not essential to the story. Make sure that every word counts and that the story
      flows together seamlessly.
           One of the best ways to discover the nature and flavor of a Hero story
      is to request a sample via e-mail.

      Terms & Conditions
      Payment
      $100 (each) for all stories published in the books, plus one complimentary
      copy of the book on publication. Three stories in each anthology will be
      selected as a prizewinner. The First Prize story will earn an additional $100; the
      Second Prize story will earn an additional $75; and the Third Prize story will
      earn an additional $50. The editor, not the publisher, is offering the prizes.
      Story Length
      850-1400 words
      Point of View
      First-person or third-person (no second person)
      Style
      Narrative nonfiction, creative nonfiction, or literary nonfiction, written as
      a story
      Tone
      Stories must be true, uplifting and preferably poignant, heartwarming, and/or
      humorous.
      Please Note
      We do not publish magazine articles, fiction, poetry, profiles, eulogies,
      sermons, testimonials, letters, commentary, expository essays, persuasive essays,
      diatribes, academic papers, confessionals, erotica, pornography, or
      experimental literature.
      If you can write a compelling, personal, intimate essay that is completely
      focused on the impact the Hero had on your life and brings the qualities that
      made him/her heroic in your life alive on the page, we may consider it.
      Stories with religious themes or references will only be published if
      religious beliefs are truly inherent to the story and delicately woven into the story
      (not as the focus!), and will be a very small percentage of accepted stories,
      as in less than 5 percent.
      We do not publish reprints or revisions of material that has been—or will be—
      published in a magazine, a book, or the Internet (with the exception of books
      comprised solely of the author's original works).
      Due to the large volume of submissions received, we cannot acknowledge
      receipt of submissions nor report on the status of individual submissions (with the
      exception of finalists, who are notified in writing). The grand-prize winning
      stories and the list of contributors for each volume will be posted on this
      website upon the book's publication.
      Manuscripts are not returned.
      Authors may submit multiple stories for any volume of the Hero series, at any
      time up to the submission deadline. Again, early submissions are encouraged!
      How to Submit Your Story
      Electronic (e-mailed) submissions are preferred, with the story attached as a
      separate Word document. If you do not have Word, embed the story in the body
      of the e-mail. If the deadline permits, mailed entries are accepted, but
      E-MAIL IS PREFERRED.
      Typed submissions are preferred; neatly handwritten submissions are
      acceptable.
      Each submission must include the following:
           Your full name
           Your mailing address
           Your phone number
           Your email address, if applicable
           Story word count
           Story title
      Please choose one of these submission methods:

      E-Mail
      Send e-mail to: sreynolds(at)literarycottage.com (replace (at) with @)
           In the subject line, cite the Hero volume (for example, "My Teacher Is
      My Hero", "My Mom is My Hero", or "My Dad Is My Hero").
           Send only one story per e-mail.
           Copy and Paste the story into the body of the email.
           Attachments will not be opened!
      US Mail
      Send USPS mail to:
      Literary Cottage
      Attn: Susan Reynolds
      P. O. Box 1070
      Pembroke, MA 02359
           It is okay to send more than one story per envelope.
           For confirmation of receipt, include one SAS postcard.
          Computer disks or CDs will not be read.
           Send via USPS Regular or Express Mail Only!
           No FedEx, UPS, etc.
      Please direct questions and suggestions to: sreynolds(at)literarycottage.com
      (replace (at) with @)
      Due to volume, we cannot accept telephone calls.