call for submissions: Hawk and Handsaw

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2007
      Like Shakespeare's Hamlet, the contributors to Hawk and Handsaw know which
      way the wind blows.  They know that a sustainable lifestyle can be messy and
      meaningful-that it requires reflection, deep philosophical commitment and, more
      often than not, a good sense of humor.  To this end, Hawk and Handsaw
      celebrates the thinking and reflection that ground sustainable practices and
      practitioners.  Each issue, we offer works from established and emerging artists
      dedicated to a specific facet of environmental sustainability.  The plurality of
      voices within each issue reveals the range of perspectives and practices as well
      as the richness that a sustainable life affords.

      Hawk and Handsaw is published annually.  The editors request submissions for
      its inaugural issue, "Home."  This topic, generally conceived, considers
      places-those from which we come, those we inhabit now, those we make our own.
      Contributors are encouraged to send poetry, nonfiction, stories, and visual art
      (Word, .jpeg, and .pdf files preferred) to Kathryn Miles, Managing Editor
      (kmiles(at)unity.edu (replace (at) with @).   Deadline for "Home" is January 31st.
      Queries welcome.

      Submission Guidelines:

      Genre considerations: We accept poetry, creative nonfiction, short stories,
      and visual art.  Poets should submit between 1-5 poems for consideration.
      Writers of nonfiction and fiction may submit up to 30 double-spaced pages.
      Excerpts from longer monographs are acceptable, provided they stand alone as an
      independent work.  If applicable, citations should appear in MLA or Chicago Manual
      of Style format. Hawk and Handsaw prints artwork in both color and black and
      white.  Visual artists may submit up to 20 images of their work for
      consideration.  We are willing to consider submissions from two categories (e.g., poetry
      and short fiction; creative nonfiction and visual art) simultaneously.
      Please wait until the next review cycle to send additional materials.

      Submitting your manuscript: Manuscripts will be accepted by email, provided
      they are sent as Microsoft Word documents, and by post.  All short stories and
      essays should be double-spaced and in a Times New Roman 12-point font or
      equivalent.  If you are submitting multiple pages, be sure to include a header or
      footer with your name and page number on every page.  We prefer paperclips to
      staples on paper drafts.  You must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope
      if you would like your material returned.

      Submitting your art: We accept images that can be clustered as part of a
      series or that can stand alone as individual images.  The editorial staff reserves
      the right to decide if images will appear in color or black and white, and as
      cover images or within the journal.  Please submit your images as
      camera-ready JPEG files that are readable in any computer.  Images may be sent on a CD or
      by email.  You must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would
      like your CD returned.

      Deliberations: The editorial staff of Hawk and Handsaw is dedicated to
      producing a high-quality, thematically coherent journal.  It may take, therefore, up
      to six months for you to receive a response regarding your submissions.
      Please do not contact us until that time has elapsed.  We will consider
      simultaneous submissions; however, we ask that you notify us immediately if your work
      has been accepted elsewhere.  Published writers and artists will receive three
      copies of the issue in which their work appears as remuneration.

      Hawk and Handsaw does not accept responsibility for loss or damage to any
      unsolicited manuscript or visual image.

      Send all correspondences to:

      Hawk and Handsaw

      Kathryn Miles, Editor

      Unity College

      90 Quaker Hill Road

      Unity, ME 04988

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10 1:15 PM
        Do you count your squares of toilet paper in the morning? Burn pallets to warm
        your house? Do you sometimes toss your compost in the trash because it feels
        like too much work? Or eye that fast food joint with an envious eye? If so,
        Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability wants to hear from you.
        Our reading period is now under way, and we want your most daring words, radical
        ideas, and even your dirty laundry. Send it all (and by all we mean no more
        than 20 typed pages) along with your questions and complaints to
        <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @ when sending email)

        Deadline for all
        submissions is 15 October 2012.

        New media junkie? Be sure to check us out at:
        www.hawkandhandsaw.org

        http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hawk-Handsaw-The-Journal-of-Creative-Sustainability/425840324120282

        https://twitter.com/hawkandhandsaw

        kathryn miles