poetry position: University of Alabama

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1 8:51 AM

      Creative Writing - Poetry

      Posting Details

      Posting Details (Default Section)

      Requisition Number:0808557
      Number of Open Positions:1
      Position Title:Assistant Professor
      Other Title Information:Creative Writing - Poetry
      Position Type:Faculty
      Organization:204221 - ENGLISH
      Position Summary:

      Teach graduate courses in the M.F.A. in Creative Writing Program and undergraduate courses within the creative writing minor. Writing and publishing of poetry; appropriate service to the department. Directing the M.F.A. Program in Creative Writing on a rotating basis after achieving tenure.

      Ad Text:

      The Program in Creative Writing in the Department of English at The University of Alabama invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of English (Poetry) to teach in our thriving MFA program and undergraduate creative writing minor. We seek a poet with at least one book published or under contract, significant teaching experience, and an appropriate graduate degree. The typical teaching load is 2/2 plus thesis direction. In addition to undergraduate and graduate workshops, our faculty teach a wide variety of self-designed “forms of writing” courses investigating aspects of literary genre, history, form, pedagogy, outreach, collaboration, and culture. All creative writing faculty members take turns directing the MFA program. To get a sense of our innovative curriculum, flexible approach to genre, faculty, graduates’ accomplishments, and lively local culture, please visit our website at http://english.ua.edu/grad/cw/mfa. Position begins 8/16/14.

      Additional Position Information:

      Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.

      UA EEO Statement

      The University of Alabama is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

      Search Initiation Date:09/18/2013
      Expected Starting Date:08/16/2014
      Application Deadline:08/01/2014
      Open Until FilledNo
      Special Instructions to Applicants:

      Candidates for this position must visit the University of Alabama website at http://facultyjobs.ua.edu to initiate an application and upload various materials. The online application will include the following documents: cover letter with description of creative projects, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, and writing sample consisting up to fifteen pages of recent poetry. Three letters of recommendation should be sent directly to Joel Brouwer, Search Committee Chair, Professor (Poetry) Search, Department of English, The University of Alabama, Box 870244, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0244. Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled. We expect to interview at MLA.