Call for Submissions: Rappahannock Review

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2013

      CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: RAPPAHANNOCK REVIEW FALL EDITION

      The University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia has recently launched a nonprofit literary journal called Rappahannock Review.

      We are currently looking for Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction for our inaugural issue, which will be published online in December 2013.  We welcome work on a variety of topics, experiences, and views.  For Fiction and Nonfiction, writers may submit one piece of 9,000 words or less, or up to three pieces of flash fiction of 1,000 words or less. For Poetry, writers may submit up to 5 pieces.

      Send submissions to the link below:

       https://rappahannockreview.submittable.com/submit

      The deadline for submissions is November 5, 2013.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2016

        Subject: Call for Submissions: Rappahannock Review

        Call for Submissions: Rappahannock Review, General and Special Theme: "Heat"

        Submissions are open for Rappahannock Review's (http://rappahannockreview.com ) general issue (due out April, 2016) and theme issue on heat (due out August, 2016). Submit work via Submittable at https://rappahannockreview. submittable.com/submit.
        General Guidelines:
        We do not accept previously published work, including work that has appeared online in blogs or other forums. Simultaneous submissions are fine, though if your work is accepted elsewhere, please email us immediately at editorATrappahannockreviewDOTcom.
        If you are submitting poetry or flash pieces compile your work into a single document and then upload your submission. Authors who submit more than one file per genre will have their work returned unread.
        Current or former employees of the University of Mary Washington are not eligible to submit work to the Rappahannock Review. We will not consider work from current UMW students; however, we will read work from alumni who graduated three or more years ago. If you are a previous contributor, please wait a year from publication (not previous date of submission) before resubmitting work.

        Poetry
        We accept poems ranging in any length and employing any aesthetic, including free verse, prose poems, and formal poetry. Authors may send up to five poems per submission. Poems may be part of a series.

        Nonfiction
        Authors of creative nonfiction may submit a single essay with a maximum length of 8,000 words or three shorter pieces each containing no more than 1,000 words. Submissions may range from flash nonfiction to extended memoir. Experimental form is encouraged. We would like to see essays with insightful perspective and attention to craft.

        Fiction
        Rappahannock Review is looking for original, well-written fiction. Submissions may contain one piece of up to 8,000 words or three pieces of flash, each containing 1,000 words or fewer. Pieces experimenting with form are encouraged. Although we are interested in a wide range of fiction, we will consider short, self-contained genre fiction (that is, no novel excerpts) that avoids cliché and experiments with the flexibility of its genre.

        Special Theme Issue: Heat
        Rappahannock Review, a literary magazine based at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, invites submissions of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, for its summer theme issue, "Heat," due out in August 2016.
        Calories. Degrees. Attraction. Fever. Consumption. Things that are steamy, humid. Things that experience loss. The Miami basketball team.* Jungles, saunas, deserts, the space shuttle launch pad. What happens when things get heated, boil over? Burning: see passion. Burning: see flames. Show us your intersections with heat, literal or figurative.
        For its upcoming issue, Rappahannock Review invites submissions of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction that consider all the manifestations of heat. (*Okay, the basketball one would have to be very good and offer an unexpected angle on the topic. We aren't looking for Dwyane Wade fanfiction!) Please submit up to five poems, fiction (one piece up to 8,000 words or three pieces of flash, each containing 1,000 words or fewer), or nonfiction (one piece up to 8,000 words or three pieces of flash, each containing 1,000 words or fewer).
        We will accept submissions for this theme issue from December 18 to mid-February, 2016. Any submissions received after this deadline will not be considered.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2016

          Subject: Rappahannock Review Call for Submissions

          Submissions are open for Rappahannock Review's (http://rappahannockreview.com ) issue 4.1 (due out in December 2016).

          Submit work via Submittable at https://rappahannockreview. submittable.com/submit

          Although we will continue to read submissions from all eligible authors who send their work, so far in this reading period, a tremendous majority of the works we've read have been submitted by men. Therefore we are particularly encouraging authors who identify as female or nonbinary to send us their work.
          General Guidelines:
          We do not accept previously published work, including work that has appeared online in blogs or other forums. Simultaneous submissions are fine, though if your work is accepted elsewhere, please update us immediately via the Submittable notes function or by withdrawing the piece in Submittable.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9

            Rappahannock Review (http://rappahannockreview.comis currently open for submissions to Issue 4.2, which will be published in April 2017. Please note that we reserve the right to close submissions earlier than scheduled if volume or other circumstances necessitate this.
            When we are open for submissions, please follow the general guidelines below, then go to https://rappahannockreview. submittable.com/submit to submit your work.
            General Guidelines:
            We do not accept previously published work, including work that has appeared online in blogs or other forums. Simultaneous submissions are fine, though if your work is accepted elsewhere, please email us immediately at rappahannockreviewATgmailDOTcom.
            If you are submitting poetry or flash pieces compile your work into a single document and then upload your submission. Authors who submit more than one file per genre will have their work returned unread.
            Current or former employees of the University of Mary Washington are not eligible to submit work to the Rappahannock Review. We will not consider work from current UMW students; however, we will read work from alumni who graduated three or more years ago. If you are a previous contributor, please wait a year from publication before resubmitting work.
            While we strive to respond to all work as quickly as possible, careful attention does take time. Please wait at least six months from submission before querying.