anthology on rural medicine seeks submissions

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2007
      Beyond the Country Doctor
      http://www.mnartists.org/work.do?rid=164164

      Published by Kent State University Press and Hiram College Center for
      Literature, Medicine and Biomedical Humanities

      It is more than Marcus Welby or the country doctor taking care of the
      farmers/ranchers. Today a diverse group of clinicians, have added cell phones and
      PDAs to their black bags and minister to a multi-colored patchwork quilt of
      patients.

      We want to show the breadth of rural medicine in the United States today. We
      are looking for poems, essays, and short stories (fiction and creative
      nonfiction, max 5000 words) written by health professionals (doctors, nurses,
      midwives, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, social workers, mental health
      providers and students of all of the above) that address the following:

      --Who we are (exploring diverse providers)
      --Who we serve (exploring the variety of patients)
      --Where we are (sense of place)
      --The resources we have and the challenges we face (i.e. tele-medicine,
      electronic health record, part of larger health systems, limited services,
      insurance, etc.)

      We are not able to pay for your contributions. The book will be published in
      Fall, 2009. We are willing to consider already published work as long as we
      can secure permission to reprint it from the original publisher. Work should not
      include the identifying information of patients unless permission is granted.
      Authors with contributions published in the collection will receive a free
      copy of the anthology.

      Submission due by February 1, 2008 by email attachment to:
      zink0003(at)umn.edu (replace (at) with @) or mail CD to UMN address. For further information
      feel free to contact me by email or phone

      Therese Zink, MD, MPH
      zink0003(at)umn.edu (replace (at) with @)
      Dept. of Family and Community Medicine
      University of Minnesota