"mistakes" essay contest": Creative Nonfiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2013
      Mistakes
      Deadline: November 1, 2013
      https://creativenonfiction.submittable.com/submit/21736
      For an upcoming issue, Creative Nonfiction is seeking new essays about mistakes—major or minor, tragic or serendipitous, funny or painful. We’re looking for stories about poor decisions, missteps, or miscalculations; we want to read about embarrassing boo-boos, dangerous misjudgments, or fortuitous faux pas in well-crafted stories that explore the nature and outcomes of human fallibility.
      Essays must be vivid and dramatic; they should combine a strong and compelling narrative with an informative or reflective element, and reach beyond a strictly personal experience for some universal or deeper meaning. We’re looking for well-written prose, rich with detail and a distinctive voice; all essays must tell true stories and be factually accurate.
      Creative Nonfiction editors will award $1000 for Best Essay & $500 for runner-up.
      Guidelines: Essays must be previously unpublished and no longer than 4,000 words. There is a $20 reading fee (or send a reading fee of $25 to include a 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction—US submitters only); multiple entries are welcome ($20/essay) as are entries from outside the United States (though due to shipping costs we cannot offer the subscription deal). All essays will be considered for publication in a special "Mistakes" issue.
      You may submit essays online or by regular mail:
      By regular mail Postmark deadline November 1, 2013
      Please send manuscript, accompanied by cover letter with complete contact information including the title of the essay and word count; SASE or email for response; and payment to:
      Creative Nonfiction
      Attn: Mistakes
      5501 Walnut Street, Suite 202
      Pittsburgh, PA 15232
      Online Deadline to upload files: 11:59 pm EST November 1, 2013
      To submit, please click the appropriate link: https://creativenonfiction.submittable.com/submit/21737 (reading fee and subscription)
      https://creativenonfiction.submittable.com/submit/21736 (reading fee only)