fiction/poetry/nonfiction contest: Still

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013
      Thank you for considering to list our annual contest with CRWROPPS. Information below. Sincerely, Marianne Worthington, poetry editor, Still: The Journal (www.stilljournal.net)

      The fourth annual Writing Contests in Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction

      The editors of Still: The Journal announce the fourth annual Writing Contests for fiction, poetry and nonfiction. Contest entries should be in keeping with our submission philosophy which states: “Our emphasis is on the literature of the Southern Appalachian region, and we are committed to publishing excellent writing that does not rely on clichés and stereotypes. We want to feature writing that exemplifies the Mountain South or that is written by an author with a connection to the region.”

      Rules:

      Submitted entries must be unpublished and should not have previously appeared in print or online, including personal blogs and websites.

      Simultaneous entries are accepted as long as you let us know if your submissions will be published elsewhere before the contest ends.

      The contest reading fee is $9 per entry. An entry is defined as:
      one short story,
      or one nonfiction piece,
      or up to three poems (sent as ONE single attachment)

      Multiple submissions in multiple genres are acceptable as long as you pay a separate entry fee for each submission. Contest entry fees cannot be refunded under any circumstances.

      Manuscripts should be typed in a standard 12-point font and should have numbered pages. Prose must be double spaced. Poetry should be single spaced. Prose entries must not exceed 6,500 words. Poetry entries should not exceed 80 lines per poem.

      Deadline is 11:59 p.m., August 31, 2013. Any entry that is not submitted on or before that date/time will not be processed and entry fees will not be returned.

      Winners will be notified by September 30, 2013. Winning entries will be announced publicly in Issue 13: Fall 2013 of Still: The Journal.

      Prizes:

      $150 each for winners of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, and publication in Still: The Journal, 13: Fall 2013. All other contest entries will be considered for possible publication.
      Previous first prize contest winners are ineligible to enter 2013 contests in the same genre but may submit to other genres.

      Submissions:

      We accept ONLY electronic submissions and fee payment through our online submission manager, Submittable. See link below to get started.

      Submissions should be saved as a word document, rich text file, PDF, or plain text file only (doc, docx, rtf, PDF, or txt only).

      Multiple submissions must be sent separately; in other words, if you are submitting a short story, an essay, and three poems, for instance, you would have three separate electronic submissions and three separate entry fees.

      The title for each entry should include “Still Contest” and the category; for example: Still Contest Fiction, Still Contest Poetry, or Still Contest Nonfiction. Include the following information in the category that asks for "identifying information":
      Title of entry
      Category listed in parentheses next to title
      Name
      Mailing address
      Telephone number
      Email address

      All entries are read on a blind basis. Please do NOT include any identifying information on the contest entry itself.

      All entries will be acknowledged.

      Failure to follow any of the above guidelines will result in disqualification. No entry fees can be returned.

      Inquiries or questions should be directed to contest@...