prize for short prose: Gulf Coast

    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2013
      We Are Now Accepting Entries for
      the 2013 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose!
      Online submissions manager at
      http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/

      Judged by Robert Coover
      Deadline: August 31, 2013

      Gulf Coast is now accepting entries for the 2013 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose. The contest is open to pieces of prose poetry, flash fiction, and micro-essays of 500 words or fewer. Established in 2008, the contest awards its winner $1,000 and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will also appear in issue 26.2, due out in April 2014, and all entries will be considered for paid publication on our website as Online Exclusives.

      This year's contest will be judged by Robert Coover. Coover's first novel, The Origin of the Brunists, won the 1966 William Faulkner Award. His other works include the collection of short fiction, Pricksongs and Descants, a collection of plays, A Theological Position, and such novels as The Public Burning, Spanking the Maid, Gerald's Party, Pinocchio in Venice, John's Wife, Ghost Town, and Briar Rose. His latest honor is the Dugannon Foundation's REA award for his lifetime contribution to the short story.

      We will accept submissions both via our online submissions manager and via postal mail. Entrants may submit up to three pieces with each entry fee. Entrants may submit more than once, but each new entry of three pieces must be accompanied by a separate entry fee.

      Contest Guidelines for Online Submissions
      - Submissions accepted via Gulf Coast's online submissions manager.
      - Submit up to three pieces of short prose in a single .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
      - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
      - The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in the uploaded document. This information should only be pasted in the "Comments" field.
      - After submitting your work you will be redirected to PayPal to authorize your $17 reading fee. You do not need a PayPal account to submit to the contest; PayPal accepts all major credit cards for payment. We will contact you if there are any issues with your payment.

      Contest Guidelines for Postal Mail Submissions
      - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
      - Please address postal mail entries to:

      Gulf Coast
      ATTN: Barthelme Prize in Short Prose
      Department of English
      University of Houston
      Houston, TX 77204-3013

      - The contest will be judged blindly, so your contact information should appear only on your cover letter.
      - Please include your $17 reading fee, payable to "Gulf Coast."
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2013
        Gulf Coast's 2013 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose, judged by Robert Coover. The deadline is coming up in just a few weeks!
        http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/contests
        Contest Entry Portal:
        http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/

        Entrants can send up to three pieces of prose poetry, flash fiction,
        or micro-nonfiction of 500 words or fewer, so it's a contest relevant
        for writers in every genre, as well as those who stretch the limits
        of genre. Established in 2008, the contest awards its winner $1,000
        and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will also
        appear in issue 26.2, due out in April 2014, and all entries will be
        considered for paid publication on our website as "Online
        Exclusives." The deadline for entries is August 31, 2013. All
        entrants receive a free one-year subscription to Gulf Coast. Those
        interested should visit:
        http://cts.vresp.com/c/?GulfCoastAJournalofL/b74be4a7ec/9857fd8dbc/c82b55a000. We accept both print and online submissions.

        Last year's winners, selected by Ander Monson, are available on our
        website: Josie Sigler for "The Compartment," John Longo for "The Only
        Thing We Argue About Is Time Travel," and Emma Copley Eisenberg for
        "There was."

        ABOUT OUR JUDGE

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16
          • Barthelme Prize for Short Prose
          • Deadline: August 31, 2015
            Gulf Coast is now accepting entries for the 2015 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose. The contest is open to prose poetry, flash fiction, and micro-essays of 500 words or fewer. Steve Almond will judge. The winner receives $1,000 and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will receive $250 and also appear in issue 28.2, due out in April 2016. All entries will be considered for paid publication on our website as Online Exclusives. The $17 entry fee includes a one-year subscription to Gulf Coast. Submit online or by mail. Complete guidelines can be found at: