chapbook contest for native American poets: Sequoyah

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2013
      Subject: chapbook contest for native American poets: Sequoyah

      2013 Native Writers Chapbook Series Contest—Deadline May 1

      The Sequoyah National Research Center is pleased to announce the return
      of their Poetry Chapbook Award for emerging American Indian writers.
      One manuscript will be published annually, and although there is no
      cash prize, the writer selected will receive 250 copies of their
      chapbook to distribute at will.  The winning manuscript  will also be
      archived in our prestigious Tribal Writers Digital Library.

      Guidelines are as follows:

        •  The Sequoyah Chapbook Award is open to any member of a federally
      recognized tribe in the United States. Individual must be either
      enrolled as a member of that tribe or accepted by that community as a
      member.

      •  Manuscripts, which need not be Native American in theme or subject
      matter, should be between 20 to 36 pages of poems, bound with a clip,
      single-spaced, one poem per page, paginated consecutively, with a table
      of contents and acknowledgments.  Previous journal or magazine
      publication (web or print) is encouraged with acknowledgements, but we
      will not reprint work that has appeared as a whole in books
      (self-published or otherwise).

      •  A cover letter is required that identifies the writer’s tribal
      affiliation and has all contact information, including name, complete
      mailing address, email, and phone number.  A short bio would also be
      helpful.

      •  We ask that you not submit manuscript simultaneously to other
      publishers or contests; winner will be notified no later than June 15,
      2013.

      •  There is no reading fee, and manuscripts will not be read
      anonymously.  All things being equal, we will select the work of
      emerging authors over established ones.

      •  Please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for confirmation
      of receipt of your manuscript.

      •  Manuscript must be postmarked between March 15 and May 1, 2013.
      Anything received after that reading period will be returned unread. We
      do not accept email submissions.  Please mail submission to:

      Professor Nickole Brown, Department of English
      University of Arkansas at Little Rock
      Little Rock, AR 72204

      •  Questions should be emailed to Professor Brown
      at lnbrownATualrDOTedu. Again, please do not email poems.