literary contests: Crab Orchard Review

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2013
      COR's Annual Literary Contests
      $2,000 prize in each category
      https://craborchardreview.submittable.com/submit

      The Richard Peterson Poetry Prize

      The Jack Dyer Fiction Prize

      The John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize

      http://craborchardreview.siu.edu/
      One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three category winners will be published and receive a $2,000 prize, and the finalists offered publication (with a payment of $500) in the Winter/Spring issue of Crab Orchard Review. The winners and finalists will also be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Website.

      Contest Guidelines for online entries (visit the Crab Orchard Review website for instructions for postal entries):

      Online entries should be sent through Submittable (there is an additional $2.50 processing fee for online entries, making the entry fee for each online entry $22.50).

      Entries must be previously unpublished*, original work written in English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are not eligible). The author's name should not appear on any page for online entries.

      All online entries must be submitted between March 1, 2013 and the end of May 4, 2013 (online entries will be accepted until 11:59:59 PM (CDT) on May 4, 2013). Online submissions will receive notification of the results by email.

      *We have had people ask about what is eligible as unpublished work and at CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW we define "unpublished" as work that has not been published by an online or print publication and is not currently accepted for such publication; we do allow work that has been posted online by the writer (though we will ask that the work be taken down until after the time it is published in CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW) or is available online as part of a thesis or dissertation required for the completion of a degree. Simultaneous submissions are considered for the Annual Literary Contests, but the winning entries must meet the criteria as unpublished work described here.

      Entry Guidelines (there is no theme for the Literary Prize entries; just send your best work):

      Poetry entries should consist of 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem.

      Prose entry length: up to 6000 words for fiction and up to 6500 words for literary nonfiction.

      One poetry entry (3 poems; 100 line limit per poem), one story entry in fiction, or one essay entry in literary nonfiction per $22.50 online entry fee; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total of three entries if entering all competitions.

      Entry fee: $22.50 for each online entry (remember that a Poetry entry is 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem).

      Each fee entitles entrant to one copy of the 2014 Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, which will include the winners of these competitions, and one copy of the 2014 Summer/Fall issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, our special issue "The West and Beyond." If you submit two entries, we will extend your subscription an additional year; if you submit three entries, we will extend your subscription two additional years (online entries $22.50 each).