essay and poetry contest: Sport Literate

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26 12:09 PM
      Sport Literate: Honest Reflections on Life's Leisurely Diversions
      http://sportliterate.org/2013-contest/

      Need a writing goal for 2013?

      Send your best work (nonfiction essay or poetry) to Sport Literate. We're paying $200 for the best essay and $100 for the best poem. Your cost: a $15 entry fee.

      All entries will be considered for publication, and all entrants will be mailed a copy of the issue (U.S. domestic addresses only). No fiction, please.

      Submissions

      It's easy to enter. Simply email your essay or poem as an attachment to bill@.... Poets can send up to three poems for their $15 entry fee. Look for our guidelines at www.sportliterate.org.

      Use PayPal to send the $15 reading fee, which also buys you the fall 2013 publication. If you must, snail mail may be sent to our post office box with a check for $15 (Sport Literate 2248 W. Belmont #20 Chicago, IL 60618).

      Selections

      Editors will read all entries and select up to five finalists to be sent anonymously to our two judges. Winners will be announced before Halloween 2013.

      Your deadline

      Postmark deadline is June 30, 2013.

      Our judges

      Rus Bradburd is the author of Forty Minutes of Hell: The Extraordinary Life of Nolan Richardson and Paddy on the Hardwood: A Journey in Irish Hoops [Now being developed as a feature film]. He spent 14 years as a college basketball coach, working for legends Don Haskins and Lou Henson. Bradburd is a regular contributor to SLAM Magazine, and his work has been published in the The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, and The Houston Chronicle. His latest work, Make It, Take It, is a critically acclaimed work of fiction about the college basketball game. For more information, visit http://rusbradburd.com

      Frank Van Zant is the longtime poetry editor of Sport Literate. He has published more than 400 poems in numerous literary journals. He is the author of two books of poetry: Climbing Daddy Mountain and The Lives of the Two Headed Baseball Siren. He is director of one of the oldest alternative schools in the country, The Greenhouse, in Rockville Centre, New York.