fiction and poetry contest: Meridian

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2007
      Meridian's 2007 Editors' Prize Contest is open!? Each year, we award a $1000 prize in both Fiction and Poetry.? The winning entries in each category will be featured in the Spring/Summer 2007 Issue of Meridian.? The entry fee is only $16 and includes a one-year (2-issue) subscription to Meridian for US-based subscribers (international subscribers will receive only the prize issue due to increased mailing costs).? This is a great way to subscribe to Meridian (or extend your existing subscription), take a shot at $1000, and maybe see your work in print, all at the same time.? We consider contest entries for regular publication at the same time, so even if you don't win the prize your writing may still appear in Meridian.

      This year's contest will be the first one run through our new online submission system.? It requires a one-time sign-up, and thereafter it will store your contact info so you don't ever have to enter it again.? It does not store your credit card information.? The new system should also simplify the process of checking the status of your entry (though all results for Editor's Prize contest will be announced in March 2008). To sign up (and enter the contest), visit:

      http://www.manuscripthub.com/users/?submag=3

      If you have any problems with the new system, please let us know.? This year's deadline is midnight on December 20th, 2007.? Further details are available on our website:

      http://www.readmeridian.org/contest

      best, and good luck,
      The Meridian Editors
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
        Extended contest deadlines for the 2009 Meridian Editors’ Prizes in fiction and poetry to midnight, January 11, 2009.  For full details, see our contest Web page at http://www.readmeridian.org/?page=contest.

        The entry fee is the same as prior years, $16, for which you receive a reading of your work, a chance at the $1,000 prizes in each genre, and a one-year, two-issue subscription to Meridian. (Entries from outside the United States receive only the May 2009 issue due to extra mailing costs.)

        All entries (and entry fees) should be submitted electronically through www.manuscripthub.com. Poets can upload four poems per entry. Fiction writers should submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer per entry. Please do NOT put your name on the work you submit so that it stays "blind" to our readers. ManuscriptHub links the submission to your contact information, so there is no need to put your name or address on the submission itself.

        To keep things fair, a few people should not enter our contest:

        - Current University of Virginia students, staff, and faculty may not enter.

        - Former Meridian staff are not eligible. (If you’ve been on our masthead, don’t enter.)

        - Friends, relatives, and former teachers and students of current Meridian staff or its advisor are not eligible.

        Current subscribers may enter the Editors’ Prize Contests for the same $16 fee. Your subscription will be extended by one year (and
        you will remain, as always, one of our favorite people in the world, even if you get treated like everyone else for the purposes of the contest).

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Meridian Editors' Prizes
          http://readmeridian.org/

          Just a reminder that Meridian is now accepting entries for its 2010 Editors’ Prize Contests in Fiction and Poetry. Please note the looming submission deadline: December 15, 2009.

          For a $16 entry fee, you receive a one-year subscription to Meridian (entries from outside the U.S. will receive only the prize issue due to additional mailing costs). Of course, you're also in the running for the $1,000 prize in each genre.

          Meridian expects to announce winners in early March 2010, and all submissions will be considered for standard publication in Meridian.

          Fiction writers may submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer. Poets may submit up to 4 poems.

          You may enter more than one time; however, in the past, entering multiple times has not significantly increased a contestant’s odds. Additional entries extend your Meridian subscription by one year.

          Submit your work through ManuscriptHub.com. Make sure that your account includes a working e-mail (one valid through March of 2010).

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
            Submit your fiction and poetry to the Meridian Editors' Prize
            Competition, with $1,000 prizes in each genre. All submissions
            considered for publication in our spring 2011 issue.

            Deadline: Midnight, December 17, 2010. All entries must be made online.

            Entry fee is $16, which includes a one-year (two issue) subscription to
            Meridian for U.S. entrants (foreign entrants receive only the prize
            issue due to higher mailing costs).

            For full details and eligibility requirements, see
            http://readmeridian.org/?page_id=47
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2014
              The 2015 Meridian Editors' Prizes are accepting entries through our Submittable account.
              http://readmeridian.org/contests.html
              submittable link:
              https://meridian.submittable.com/submit

              The contest deadline is January 7, 2015.
              The winning story and the winning poem will both appear in our May 2015 issue, and all submissions will be considered for publication.
              Please make sure you are submitting your work to our Editors's Prize Contest reading pools ($8.50 fee) and not our regular year-round submission pools.
              Contest Details:
              We will be selecting a winner in poetry and in fiction, each of which will receive $1000.
              1. Our entry fee is $8.50
              2. Entrants receive an electronic version of the journal (.pdf and ePub) rather than a print subscription
              3. We are only allowing two submissions per entrant
              We believe this lower cost contest model is better for you, and better for us. Rather than having you pay substantial entry fees to cover the cost of a print subscription (and mailing fees), we’re have a lower entry fee and will e-mail you an electronic version of the upcoming January and May issues. Fewer trees, less cost ... and we’ll still have print versions of Meridian available at modest cost for those who like to keep things tangible.
              We expect to announce winners toward the end of March, and all submissions will be considered for publication in Meridian.
              Fiction writers may submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer. Poets may submit up to 4 poems totaling 10 pages or fewer.
              You may only submit two entries per genre–-no more than two fiction submissions and/or two poetry submissions.
              Please submit your work through our Submittable account only. Please leave your name off the manuscript. The Submittable system keeps your contact info linked to your submission (but hides it from our readers, which allows for blind judging).
              Contest Eligibility Rules:
              We try our very best to run as fair and impartial a contest as we can. To that end,
              • UVA undergraduate alumni who graduated after June 2010 are NOT eligible.
              • UVA MFA students and alumni are NOT eligible.
              • Current UVA students, staff, and faculty are NOT eligible.
              • Former Meridian staff are not eligible. (If you’ve ever been on our masthead, please don’t enter.)
              • Friends, relatives, and former teachers and students of current Meridian staff or its advisor are not eligible.
              • Our former Meridian Editors’ Prize winners are not eligible to enter, even if their win was in another genre.
              • These prizes are not intended for well-established authors. Authors with two or more published books in a genre are not eligible to enter the contest for that genre. This rule does not include chapbook publications. This rule does include self-published books (If it’s been for sale and it was not a chapbook, it counts). You may enter our fiction contest if your published books were in poetry, and vice versa.