Call for Submissions: Ontologica

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
      Subject: Call for Submissions: Ontologica

      Ontologica, a Bi-annual literary magazine of art and thought is open for submissions starting 3/1/2013 - 4/30/2013. We will be accepting submissions in Non-Fiction, Fiction, and Art.

      Ontologica aims to present an eclectic mix of prose and art. Ours is a journal of differing perspectives. Readers will be just as likely to encounter the Christian as the Marxist, the relative as the absolute, the liberal as the conservative in the essays we present. We want to offer material that is illuminating, challenging, and, if need be, antagonizing. Above all it must accessible. Accessibility here doesn't just mean a lack of specialized language, but a writing style that invites the reader in. Work with a philosophical slant is preferred, but not required. What is required is contemporary relevance and, more or less, general appeal. (An essay on the difference between Transcendentalist and Romantic poetry, no matter how well written, will most likely not find a home in Ontologica). Unless you lived a sublimely amazing life, no so-called creative non-fiction or memoirs.

      We will include a small amount of fiction, and visual art in every issue. There is no clear-cut definition of what we're looking for in fiction, though, like non-fiction, accessibility is a good keyword. We want fiction and poetry that moves beyond simple entertainment. In the words of Robert Bly, we want work that punches a hole in the pervading culture of denial: The health of any nation's soul depends on the capacity of adults to face the harsh facts of the time. Pieces that point to the injustices of the world and reminds us of our own mortality, rather than giving us reason to ignore them, will be greeted here. Genre pieces are okay as long as, like the work of Cormac McCarthy or Robert Heinlein, the story transcends the limitations of the genre. Pieces that treat intense subjects without linguistic finesse or subtlety will not likely appear in the magazine--bring us to the battle lines without blatant preaching, childish whining, or melodrama.

      All this applies equally to visual art submissions. Above all the work must have a distinct sense of subject. No ultra-modern, Jackson Pollock slapdashery. This doesn't mean we want black-and-white photos of your lawn furniture. The art we present must engage our readers, whether through shock or awe. Ontologica wants art that fantastically suggests the possible, or horrifically portrays the actual.

      Non-fiction and fiction submissions should be no more than 25 pages in length. Flash fiction is generally discouraged. For art, send between 3 and 5 high quality JPEG or PNG files. Send all submissions as attachments. For more submission information, please see our Submissions page at <http://www.warriorpoetgroup.com/Ontologica/submissions.shtml>. Send all submissions to

      ontologicajournalATgmailDOTcom
      [ontologicajournal AT gmail.com].

      For more information see < http://www.warriorpoetgroup.com/Ontologica>.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2014

        http://www.warriorpoetgroup.com/Ontologica/about.shtml

        Ontologica, a Bi-Annual literary magazine of Art and Thought is open for submissions in Non-Fiction, Fiction and Art through April 30, 2014.
        http://www.warriorpoetgroup.com/Ontologica/submissions.shtml

        Submission Guidelines

[...]

        We will include a small amount of fiction and visual art in every issue. With fiction, we are interested in going beyond anecdotal stories to instead explore deeper states of the human condition. Stories with experimental form and structure are welcome so long as the experimentation serves the story and not as a device for its own sake. Genre fiction is fine too, so long as it strives to transcend the pitfalls of its genre and treats language with reverence. Above all we are looking for stories with powerful voice, and memorable characters; situations that resonate long after the story has been read.

        All this applies equally to visual art submissions. Artwork must have a distinct sense of subject. We request that your art engages our readers--whether through shock, awe, or fostering dialogue. Ontologica wants art that fantastically suggests the possible, dramatically the impossible, or horrifically portrays the actual. Art that takes us out of our everyday mundane comfort zones to invoke or bring to light something primal, and thus bringing to the forefront that this is a product of humanity past, present, or future.

        See the Contact Us Page (http://www.warriorpoetgroup.com/Ontologica/contact.shtml)
        for submission email addresses. At present we accept electronic submissions only. Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. We will only review and respond to submissions sent during the open reading periods. Anything outside of our published reading periods will sit in a void until a new period opens. Upon acceptance, Ontologica reserves First North American Rights of the work, and the published work will remain online for as long as Ontologicamaintains a web presence. After initial publication, all rights revert to the author.Ontologica does not compensate authors for publication.

        Additional Guidelines -- Formatting, etc

        Please use the appropriate genre email address found on the Contacts page to send your submissions. All submissions should be attachments using the following rules defined by genre:

        All submissions

        Send all submissions as attachments to your email
        Send a brief bio within the body of your email
        Only send submissions during published open reading periods. If you submit outside of our reading times, your submission will be ignored until the next reading period.

        Non-Fiction

        Use MS Word, Open Document or Text format for your attachments
        Ensure your name and the title of the work is on the first page of your submission

        Fiction

        Use MS Word or Open Document Format for your attachments
        Ensure your name and the title of work is on the first page of your submission
        DO NOT send a synopsis of the story in the body of your email
        Please Adhere to published available page limit (above)
        Flash fiction is discouraged

        Art

        Send No more than five (5) high quality photos of your artwork in JPEG or PNG Format
        Your bio should describes in some detail the media used in your art and/or your process
        Include the titles of all submitted works in the body of your email
        -Drew Lackovic
        Word Doodler
        Fiction Editor, Ontologica
        "I think music in general, and all types of art really, have always been about escapism-escaping the norm and asserting your own reality." -Shirley Manson
        "The only thing that makes life worth living is Art." - Rob Zombie
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2014
          OOPS--this market is currently closed to submissions--apologies!
          Allison Joseph