ten-word story contest: Gotham Writers Workshop

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2013
      It may be apocryphal, but the story goes that Ernest Hemingway won a bet by writing a short story that ran fewer than ten words. One version of the story places the bet at the famed Algonquin “round table.” Whether true or not, there is an actual bet-winning short story attributed to Hemingway:

      For sale. Baby Shoes. Never worn.

      You have to admit it’s pretty good. It builds, and a whole world of background and emotion lurks beneath those words.

      We would like to make a similar bet with you. Write a great short story in ten words or fewer. (You may use a title, but that goes into the word count.) Submit it to our contest. Entry is free. Winner of the bet gets a free Gotham ten-week workshop.

      Deadline to submit is April 23, 2013.

      For competition rules and an online entry form, visit: writingclasses.com/tenwordstory.