poetry contest for St. Louis, MO high schoolers (100 mile radius)
- View SourceSt. Louis Poetry Center announces the 2013 Beverly Hopkins Memorial Poetry Contest
2013 Beverly Hopkins Memorial Poetry Contest
for High School Students
$50 First Prize, $35 Second Prize, $20 Third Prize
First, second, third prize and honorable mention winners
will be invited to read their poems at
The Annual Poetry Concert, May 19, 2013
Winning poems will be published in a chapbook available at the concert.
Judge: Steven Schreiner
STEVEN SCHREINER is associate professor of English at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, where he teaches in the MFA program. He is the author of Too Soon to Leave (Ridgeway: 1998), and Out of Egypt (forthcoming, Cervena Barva Press), and a chapbook, Imposing Presence. His poems have appeared in numerous journals, including Poetry, Prairie Schooner, Image, Colorado Review, Denver Quarterly, Poet & Critic, Gulf Coast, Margie, and River Styx. He has been awarded fellowships from The National Writers Voice of the YMCA and the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts. He is the founding editor of Natural Bridge, a journal of contemporary literature.
1. Eligible poets must be high school students living within 100 miles of St. Louis.
2. Submit up to 3 unpublished poems, any form and length. Poems must be typed.
3. Poems judged anonymously. Do not include author name or pen name on poems.
4. Enclose an 8 ½ x 11 typed cover sheet containing the following information:
Author's name, address, parents' phone number, email address, high school, teacher's name and email address, and the titles of poems submitted.
Mail entries to:
St. Louis Poetry Center, High School Contest,
567 North & South Road, #8,
St. Louis, MO 63130-3938
ENTRIES MUST BE POSTMARKED by March 1, 2013
There is no entry fee. For more information, go to www.stlouispoetrycenter.org/con