call for submissions: Illuminations

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7 12:12 PM
      Now accepting submissions for Illuminations, volume 29,
      a Greek, theme-based issue
      Deadline for submissions: March 15, 2013
      Specifically, we are looking for work—poetry, fiction, essay, journalism, creative nonfiction, and visual art—that treats ideas related to Greece, ancient or contemporary, literally or figuratively. We are interested in a wide range of material—Mediterranean travel writing, work inspired by Greek mythology or philosophy, and translations of classical or modern Greek poetry. We also aim to publish work that offers perspectives on Greece’s current economic crisis—austerity measures, protests in Athens, unemployment, the emigration of Greek professionals, and related topics. In your cover letter, please reference how your work might contribute to our theme issue.

      Illuminations accepts submissions of up to six poems, or two prose pieces at a time by mail or e-mail. Writers may simultaneously submit provided you let us know immediately if accepted elsewhere. Please make sure to include your name and address on the work itself if sending by mail. If emailing, please paste the work into the body of your email as we sometimes have trouble with attachments. You can usually expect a response within a month but we're often a little slower than that. The magazine is published annually in the summer, so depending on when your work is accepted the lag between acceptance and publication can vary considerably

      Submissions accepted via email at
      scottcopesmATcofcDOTedu

      scottcopsesm@... or by post at

      Meg Scott Copses, Editor
      5 College Way
      Charleston SC 29424

      More info on our website: http://illuminations.cofc.edu/index.php

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2015

        Subject: Publishing Opportunity for Poets

        Just like last Autumn, we're spreading the word right now about our call for submissions for next year's publication,

        Illuminations made its first appearance in Columbia, South Carolina in 1982 under the editorship of Peter McMillan. The issue featured poems by Seamus Heaney, Stephen Spender, and newcomer Sam Boone. Subsequently edited from England, Japan, and Tanzania, the magazine returned to South Carolina in 1996. Over these many years Illuminations has remained consistently true to its mission to publish new writers alongside some of the world’s finest, including Nadine Gordimer, James Merrill, Carol Ann Duffy, Dennis Brutus, Allen Tate, interviews with Tim O’Brien, and letters from Flannery O’Connor and Ezra Pound. A number of new poets whose early work appeared in Illuminations have gone on to win prizes and accolades, and we at Illuminations sincerely value the chance to promote the work of emerging writers. As such, we've opened up to submissions for our 2016 edition.

        Submissions can be made electronically at: illuminations.submittable.com, or sent by mail with SASE to:

        Simon Lewis, Editor
        Illuminations
        Department of English
        College of Charleston
        66 George Street,
        Charleston, SC 29424-0001

        No simultaneous submissions, nor previously published poems, and we ask that submissions include no more than six poems.

        For more background info please find us at: illuminations.cofc.edu

        Thanks much!

        The editors