$10,000 for best essay about "The Human Face of Sustainability"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013
      *********

      $10,000 Prize and Publication for Best Essay about Sustainability

      The Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives, a program of the Global Institute of Sustainability at Arizona State University, has teamed with Creative Nonfiction magazine to create the $10,000 Walton Sustainability Solutions Best Creative Nonfiction Essay Award. The award-winning essay, as well as other select submissions, will be published in a special "Human Face of Sustainability" issue of Creative Nonfiction (CNF ). CNF and the Sustainability Solutions Fair, one of the programs within the Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives, chose to launch this competition because of the growing conversation around this issue on both a global and an individual level.

      “As we face daily reminders of environmental challenges across the globe, our work here is to advance knowledge about the existing and potential solutions of sustainability, so we’re thrilled to be partnering with CNF to raise awareness and thoughtful responses to these issues that affect every one of us,” says Patricia Reiter, director of the Sustainability Solutions Initiatives at ASU.

      Entries submitted in consideration for the prize should be personal essays or stories that illuminate and present the human side of environmental, economic, ethical, and/or social challenges related to the state of the planet and our future. The magazine will favor submissions that blend facts and research with narrative--employing scenes and descriptions.

      “We could not be embarking on such an important project without the generous support of ASU. There are so many with an interest or stake in this timely and important issue: including nonfiction writers, environmentalists, engineers, and scientists. I’m eager to read through these submissions and see how a diversity of voices are exploring and contextualizing their ideas through narrative,” says Creative Nonfiction founder and editor Lee Gutkind.

      In addition to the $10,000 prize, the winner will be invited to a special launch event hosted by ASU’s Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives. The contest deadline is May 31, 2013, and “The Human Face of Sustainability” issue will be published in Spring 2014. The issue will be guest edited by Donna Seaman.

      Additionally, the magazine is seeking an artist to illustrate the issue. The artist chosen will receive $3,500 and have their work profiled prominently for at least three months on CNF ’s website. He or she will work closely with CNF ’s editorial and design staff to create 8 to 10 original designs to be featured on the cover and interior of the magazine. All styles of interpretation, as well as various media (e.g. line drawings, watercolor, collage) will be considered, providing they are well suited to a print format.

      Complete submission guidelines are available at www.creativenonfiction.org/submit

      *********