So to Speak Contest and Reading Period

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2013
      So to Speak: a feminist journal of language and art is now acceptingsubmissions for its Fall 2013 issue. This issue will feature our fictionand visual art contest winners, as well as poetry and nonfiction. Submissions for the contests and our open reading periods in poetry and nonfiction will beaccepted from January 1- March 15 through the online submissions manager at https://sotospeak.submittable.com/submit.

      Contest Information:

      The contest judge for the Fall 2013 Fiction Contest will be Asali Solomon, author of Get Down. In our 2013 visual art competition, The "Hyrid" Book, we seek entries in all media which the makers consider to represent – in any and all ways – the book experience. We welcome submissions to this competition including performance, digital and new media, photography and all 2D and 3D visual art forms, as well as sculptural book and artist’s book objects, whether or not incorporating text. Contest winners will receive prize money and publication, and finalists will bepublished in the issue. The contest entry fee of $15 will include a free copyof the Fall 2013 issue for all entrants.

      So to Speak, founded in 1993 by an editorial collective of women MFAcandidates at George Mason University, has served as a space for feministwriting and art for nearly 18 years. So to Speak publishes poetry,fiction, nonfiction, and visual art that live up to a high standard oflanguage, form, and meaning. We look for work that addresses issues ofsignificance to women’s lives and movements for women’s equality and areespecially interested in pieces that explore issues of race, class, andsexuality in relation to gender.

      Please visit our websitefor full submission guidelines.

      So to Speak: a feminist journal of language and art
      So to Speak
      George Mason University
      4400 University Drive MSN 2C5
      Fairfax, VA 22030