fiction contest: Austin Chronicle
- The 21st Annual 'Austin Chronicle' Short Story Contest Now Open For Submissions
Submit Your Manuscript To:
Short Story Contest, PO Box 49066, Austin, TX 78765
Deadline for Submissions
Submissions must be postmarked by December 10, 2012.
$1,500 to be divided among the five winners
Manuscript to be published in early winter in The Austin Chronicle
1. Your work must be unpublished, typewritten, and must be no more than 2,500 words.
2. Include the title of the story on the first page of the manuscript. All entries must also be accompanied by a separate cover letter, which contains the name, address, email address, and phone number of the author, as well as the title of the story.
3. The author's name must not appear anywhere in the manuscript.
4. Only one entry per person.
Manuscripts must be the original work of the contestant, unpublished (and not under consideration of being published), typed, and double-spaced on one side of 8.5-by-11-inch paper, and no longer than 2,500 words.
Contestants must submit one copy of the manuscript and a cover sheet containing the name, address, email address, and phone number of the author and the title of the work. Names and copyright markings must be omitted from the manuscript, which will go to screeners and judges anonymously. Do not send originals no entries will be returned. Staff members of The Austin Chronicle, freelancers who have contributed more than one article since October 2011, and first- through fifth-place winners from the 2011 Short Story Contest are not eligible to enter. Copyright remains in the name of the author, but The Austin Chronicle reserves the right to publish the winning entries and any honorable mentions in The Austin Chronicle and to reproduce them electronically on our online edition.
All entries must be postmarked to The Austin Chronicle by December 10, 2012. NO ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS. Finalists will be notified in late January, 2013. Questions should be directed to <books(at)austinchronicle.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending email)
No phone calls, please. Please read all rules and regulations thoroughly.
Contest is open to Texans and non-Texans alike.