fiction position: Binghamton University

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      The English Department at Binghamton University (SUNY), a Division I Research Institute with a thriving creative writing program that sponsors the literary journal Harpur Palate, the Milt Kessler Poetry Prize, the John Gardner Fiction Prize, and the graduate student national writing conference Writing by Degrees, invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor in fiction writing. The course load is 2/2, and the successful applicant will teach undergraduate and graduate fiction writing, and Studies for Writers courses in craft and literature, in a department that offers a BA in Creative Writing, and a MA and a PhD in English with a Creative Writing emphasis. Therefore, a strong background in critical academic work within English or related disciplines will be an advantage. MFA or PhD required. Ability and desire to work with graduate students on PhD exams, MA theses, and direct creative dissertations as well as serve on dissertation committees is necessary. We especially welcome candidates who place a premium on collegiality and whose work is grounded in the literary art of historically under-represented groups. Substantial publications in fiction are needed (at least one full-length book from a nationally recognized trade, university, or literary press and publications in well-know literary journals), along with relevant teaching experience at the university level.

      Application files should include a cover letter outlining your scholarly interests and your expertise, background, and experience in teaching creative writing/fiction; a CV; and a dossier including at least three reference letters.

      Send application materials, marked "Search A," by November 15 to:
      Application Information
      Postal Address: Robert Micklus, Chair
      Department of English
      Binghamton University