fiction/nonfiction position: Stephen F. Austin Univ
- Assistant Professor
Institution: Stephen F. Austin State University
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Faculty - Liberal Arts - English and Literature
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Posting Number: 0600848
Position Type: Faculty
This is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position responsible for contributing significantly to Stephen F. Austin State University's undergraduate and/or graduate programs through teaching, scholarship/creative accomplishment and service. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This is a security-sensitive position. Reports to the chair.
For additional information regarding position requirements, see Specific Job Requirements/Duties below.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs an equivalent of eight teaching units of work during the regular academic year; reduction of teaching load through reassignment of duties is possible under certain circumstances.
2. Engages in research/scholarly/creative and service activities at levels appropriate to faculty rank and departmental tenure/merit criteria.
3. Provides services to the university and the profession.
4. Participates in promotion review of lower-ranked faculty within the department.
5. When tenured, participates in tenure review of candidates for tenure.
6. May conduct supplemental instructional activities such as independent studies, internships, advising and thesis/dissertation supervision.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. May receive course-load reassignment when assigned administrative duties in support of the department/college/university.
2. May receive course-load reassignment when assigned to prepare course material during the first semester/year when included as part of initial contract.
3. May receive course-load reassignment when approved to conduct research/scholarly/creative accomplishment and service that exceed normal expectations.
4. May supervise the work of student and/or graduate assistants.
5. May serve on departmental, college and university committees.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Extensive knowledge in the field in which the individual will be teaching.
2. Ability to effectively teach undergraduate and/or graduate students.
3. Ability and commitment to conduct research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
4. Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
6. Ability to work effectively and patiently with students.
Terminal degree in the field in which the individual will be teaching is required. ABD candidates may be considered if Ph.D. is earned prior to start date.
Experience and Training:
The rank of assistant professor is held by an individual who demonstrates the capability to produce research/creative accomplishments, teach effectively, and provide service to the academic and general communities.
Work Hours: 12 classroom contact hours per week; 10 office hours per week; other hours as necessary.
Special Instructions: Candidates must apply via the SFASU online application system. Please submit letter of application and CV at:
Send copies of transcripts, a writing sample consisting of multiple excerpts of professional and scholarly writing totaling no more than 25-30 pages, and three current letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Department of English, Stephen F. Austin State University, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007. Review of applications begins immediately; position open until filled.
Minimum Pay Rate: $45,000-$46,000
Specific Job Requirements for this Posting: The Department of English at Stephen F. Austin State University seeks applications for a tenure-track assistant professor of creative writing. The successful candidate must have an MFA or PhD by time of appointment, a record of substantial publications, and demonstrated teaching excellence. We are primarily looking for a fiction writer with a secondary interest in nonfiction. Experience teaching multicultural literature, technical writing, or courses involving digital technology is a plus. The successful candidate will teach a variety of courses, from freshman composition to advanced workshops, and must supervise creative BFA theses. The standard load is 4-4 with opportunities for research and service-related reductions.
SFA is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students, located in the East Texas Piney Woods. Candidates must apply via the SFASU online application system. Please submit letter of application and CV at: https://careers.sfasu.edu Send copies of transcripts, a 20-page creative prose sample, statement of teaching philosophy, and three current letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Department of English, Stephen F. Austin State University, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007. Review of applications begins on October 26, 2012; position open until filled.
Contact Name(s): John McDermott
Contact Phone/Extension: 936-468-2319
Contact Email: <mcdermotja(at)sfasu.edu> (replace (at) with @)
Contact Fax: 936-468-2614
Contact: Stephen F. Austin State University
Online App. Form: https://careers.sfasu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51784&jtsrc=www.high eredjobs.com&jtrfr=www.peopleadmin.com&adorig=PA