prose contest for Illinois residents: Guild Literary Complex

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2012
      The Guild Literary Complex is proud to announce a call for short fiction and non-fictionsubmissions for its annual Prose Awards. Every fall, the Guild showcases emerging and established short fiction and non-fiction writers with a judged competition, recognition event and two cash prizes. This year’s two cash prizes will be $250 each, and this year’s guest judges will be David Lazar (non-fiction) and Amina Gautier (fiction).
      The semifinalists from each category will read their work and the two winners will be named live to receive their prize at a recognition event on October 24, 2012.
      Also during the evening, audience members will get the chance to vote for their favorite work; the Audience Favorite will receive a modest gift.

      Submission Guidelines
      Students and non-students, and writers of all backgrounds and experience levels are invited to submit. Writers must be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Illinois by October 24.
      · A submission fee of $5 is required.
      · Please submit one piece, for EITHER the non-fiction OR the short fiction category. (No exceptions please; if you send us more than one piece, we won’t be able to consider any.)
      · 1,000 words maximum word count (please word count on upper right corner of the first page)
      · Original work from the writer only (previously published is ok)
      · Please use Arial or New Times Roman font, 12-pt.
      · Please include the $5 submission fee. Submissions without the submission fee will not be considered. Click the "DONATE!" button at the bottom of the Guild website (www.guildcomplex.org) to pay your entrance fee through PayPal.
      · Must be able to be read by you, the evening of October 24.
      How to Submit
      Email: <contest(at)guildcomplex.org> (replace (at) with @ when sending email)
      contest@...
      · Please use "Prose Awards" in the subject line.
      · In the email, include your full name, street address, email address, telephone number, category (fiction or non-fiction), and title of the piece.
      · Attach your piece as a simple Word document or PDF labeled with the title.
      · No author name information should appear in the document label or on the pages of the piece itself.
      · Send your $5 submission fee via the “DONATE!” button at the bottom of the page at

      www.guildcomplex.org.
      Mail:
      Guild Complex
      P.O. Box 478880
      Chicago, IL 60647-9998
      Attn: Prose Awards

      · Please put your full name, street address, email address, telephone number, category (fiction or non-fiction), and name of submitted piece on a separate cover sheet.
      · No identifying information should appear on the pages of the piece itself.
      Deadline
      Must arrive in our P.O. box (not postmarked) OR in our email inbox no later than 5 p.m. Friday, September 28, 2012. Submissions may not be made in person. An acknowledgement email will be sent the following week to let you know your submission arrived and has met the guidelines.
      Semifinalists in each category will be announced by Monday, October 15, 2012.
      Semifinalists will read their pieces and the winners will be named and receive their prize at a recognition event Wednesday, October 24, 2012.
      FAQs
      What if I don’t like reading my own work in public? Can someone else do it?
      We’re sorry, no. Like a lot of events with the Guild Complex, we want this to feature great writers, not just great writing. So we want to hear your voice.
      I have a (wedding/job/date/etc.) on October 24. Can I leave the recognition event early/come late?
      We ask you to be available for the full event, to enjoy the recognition and hear great work by your writing peers.
      Why does the Guild require a submission fee? I’m not a rich writer.
      We understand. However, the $5 submission fee helps offset part of the Guild’s costs for this event and its two cash awards. That allows us to keep doing events like this in the future.
      Do I have to pay my submission fee by PayPal?
      Sorry, yes. At this time our limited staff support makes this the best way to process entries quickly and accurately.
      Should my work focus on a particular theme or style besides fiction/non-fiction?
      No, just send us an example of your best work. We look forward to reading it.
      Additional Questions? Email <info(at)guild complex.org> (replace (at) with @)
      info@....