call for submissions: Animal

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2012
      Animal: A Beast of a Literary Magazine, a new-and-upcoming online journal, is looking for essays, stories, and poems that capture the essence and immediacy of the beast. Render on the page what is both alien and familiar about an animal, animals, or being "animal." Our readers want what is safe, dangerous, and wondrous. They want to discover the animal caught within the prose and see it set free beyond the imagination. No "fluffy" work, please.

      Nonfiction: needs book excerpts, personal essays, experimental, memoir, humor. Does not want anything overtly religious, pornographic, or sentimental. Length: up to 5,000 words.

      Fiction: needs adventure, confession, experimental, ethnic, fantasy, horror, humor, mainstream, science fiction, suspense. Does not want anything overtly religious, pornographic, or sentimental. Length: up to 5,000 words.

      Poetry: needs avant-garde, free verse, traditional. Send up to five poems. Total not to exceed five pages.

      Animal will consider simultaneous submissions, but asks that you notify us
      immediately if you are accepted elsewhere. We do not reprint work published
      elsewhere, in any form. We publish one story, one essay, and one poem a month.

      Animal will launch online in late fall. Please send submissions pasted into the body of an e-mail, as well as attached to the e-mail as a MS-Word compatible document, to
      <animalliterarymagazine(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)
      . Please send questions to the literary magazine at the same address to Elisabeth Lanser-Rose, fiction editor; Danita Berg, nonfiction editor; and/or Stephen Mills, poetry editor.