poetry/fiction/nonfiction contest: Dogwood

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2012
      DOGWOOD: A Journal of Prose and Poetry ANNOUNCES ANNUAL CONTEST
      www.dogwoodliterary.com

      Online submissions manager:
      http://dogwood.submittable.com/submit

      Dogwood welcomes entries in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction for its annual contest with a $1000 grand prize for one winning entry. The grand prize winner will be chosen from winners in nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Winners in the other two genres will receive prizes of $250. Entry fee is $15; all submissions will be considered for publication in the 12th annual edition of this print and e-pub journal. Submissions accepted online between August 1 and October 15, 2012. Please use our online submission manager for your submissions. We look forward to receiving your work!
      Results of the contest will be announced in Spring 2013 and published in the 2013 issue of Dogwood.
      JUDGES
      FICTION: Roxane Gay‘s work has appeared in Best American Short Stories 2012, NOON, American Short Fiction, West Branch, Oxford American, The Rumpus, and many others. She is a columnist for Salon, edits various publications, teaches, and lives in the Midwest.
      POETRY: Adrian Matejka is the author of The Devil’s Garden (Alice James Books, 2003), Mixology (Penguin, 2009) which was a winner of the 2008 National Poetry Series, and The Big Smoke (Penguin, forthcoming in 2013). He is the recipient of two Illinois Arts Council Literary Awards and fellowships from Cave Canem and the Lannan Foundation. His work has appeared in American Poetry Review, The Best American Poetry, Ploughshares, and Poetry among other journals and anthologies. He teaches creative writing at Indiana University.
      NONFICTION: Adriana Páramo is a cultural anthropologist and author of My Mother’s Funeral and Looking for Esperanza, winner of the 2011 Social Justice and Equality Award. Her work has appeared in Alaska Quarterly Review, Consequence Magazine, So to Speak, Carolina Quarterly Review, The Los Angeles Review, and others. She has worked for Voice of Witness, a book series focusing on contemporary social injustice.
      Fiction and Nonfiction Submission Guidelines

      Submit fiction or nonfiction up to 25 pages using the online submission manager.
      Please title your submission with the title of your piece.
      Please double space and use 12-point font.
      Include a brief bio and contact information in the cover letter field on the submission manager, but no name should appear on the mss.
      Simultaneous submissions allowed if Dogwood is notified of acceptance elsewhere.
      Previously published work is not eligible.

      Poetry Submission Guidelines

      Submit one, two, or three poems (max ten pages)
      Please include all poems in one document.
      Please double space and use 12-point font.
      In the submission manager, please include the titles of all poems in your submission title (rather than “Three Poems”).
      Include a brief bio and contact information in the cover letter field on the submission manager, but no name should appear on the mss.
      Simultaneous submissions allowed if Dogwood is notified of acceptance elsewhere.
      Previously published work is not eligible.

      Deadline: October 15, 2012
      Work not meeting the above guidelines will not be considered for publication. All contest entries meeting these requirements will be considered for publication in Spring 2013 Issue of Dogwood along with selected non-contest submissions. If you choose not to send to the contest, please email a copy of your work following the above guidelines to: <dogwoodliterary(at)gmail.com>. Current and former employees and students of Fairfield University are ineligible for publication. All work is considered anonymously. Contest entries will be given priority for publication. For more information, please email <shuber(at)fairfield.edu>.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2013
        Subject: poetry/fiction/nonfiction contest: Dogwood

        Subject: Dogwood contest opens Aug 1: $1000 grand prize

        Entry link:
        https://dogwood.submittable.com/submit

        Dogwood: A Journal of Poetry and Prose is open for 2014 contest and non-contest submissions as of August 1. A prize of $1000 goes to one winning entry, and you have until October 15 to send us your brilliance.
        Dogwood welcomes entries in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction for its annual contest with a $1000 grand prize for one winning entry. The grand prize winner will be chosen from winners in nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Winners in the other two genres will receive prizes of $250. Entry fee is $15; all submissions considered for publication in the lucky 13th annual edition of this print and e-pub journal. Non-contest entries will also be considered; please submit under the "Non-Contest" tab with the $3 processing fee. Results of the contest will be announced in Spring 2014 and published in the 2014 issue of Dogwood. All entrants receive an electronic PDF of the journal.
        Submissions accepted online between August 1 and October 15, 2013. Please use our online submission manager for your submissions.
        2014 JUDGES
        FICTION: Sandy Rodriguez Barron holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Florida International University. She is the author of The Heiress of Water, which won first place for debut fiction at the 2007 International Latino Book Awards and was a Borders Original Voices selection. Her second novel, Stay with Me, was a finalist in the fiction category for the 2011 Connecticut Book Award. Sandra is the grateful recipient of support from The Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, The Greater Hartford Arts Council, the National Association of Latino Arts and Culture, and the Connecticut Commission on Culture & Tourism. She was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in El Salvador. She currently lives in Milford, Connecticut and teaches in the low-residency MFA program at Western Connecticut State University.
        POETRY: Carmen Giménez Smith is the author of a memoir, Bring Down the Little Birds, four poetry collections— Milk and Filth, Goodbye, Flicker, The City She Was, and Odalisque in Pieces. She is the recipient of a 2011 American Book Award, the 2011 Juniper Prize for Poetry, and a 2011-2012 fellowship in creative nonfiction from the Howard Foundation. Formerly a Teaching-Writing Fellow at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, she now teaches in the creative writing programs at New Mexico State University, while serving as the editor-in-chief of the literary journal Puerto del Sol and the publisher of Noemi Press.
        NONFICTION: Heather Kirn Lanier is the author of Teaching in the Terrordome: Two Years in West Baltimore with Teach For America and The Story You Tell Yourself, winner of the Wick Poetry Open Chapbook Competition. Her work has appeared in dozens of places, including Salon, The Sun, and The Threepenny Review. She lives in Bennington, Vermont.
         Some important stuff:
        ·      Our contest is completely anonymous, so if you enter and your name is on the file, we have to bounce it. We understand that might be annoying, but those are our rules. So please double-check your file before pressing the “submit” button.
        ·      Current and former employees and students of Fairfield University are not eligible, as are current and former students of the editor.
        ·      We ask that you look at the names of the judges. If you have a strong relationship with one of the judges, we ask that you not submit work in that genre.
        ·      More on why we like the anonymous contest.
        What did we pick for our winners and others to publish last year? You should read a copy to find out! If you’re planning to submit, you can get a copy of last year’s Dogwood as an electronic publication via LitRagger. We also have excerpts and past submissions on our site. You can also read a bit more vagueness about our editorial sense. If you submitted to last year’s contest, you should have received an email with an invitation to receive a free electronic copy of the issue. If you missed that, or if you change your mind and want to check it out now, please email the editor at dogwoodliterary (at) gmail.com and we’ll send you one.
        Please sign up for our periodic newsletter for information about future contests and announcement of the winners!
        DETAILED GUIDELINES
        Fiction and Nonfiction Submission Guidelines:
        Submit fiction or nonfiction up to 25 pages using this online submission manager.
        Please title your submission with the title of your piece.
        Please double space and use 12-point font.
        Include a brief bio in the cover letter field on the submission manager, but no name should appear on the mss.
        Simultaneous submissions allowed if Dogwood is notified of acceptance elsewhere.
        Previously published work is not eligible.
        Poetry Submission Guidelines:
        Submit one, two, or three poems (max ten pages)
        Please include all poems in one document.
        Please double space and use 12-point font.
        In the submission manager, please include the titles of all poems in your submission title (rather than "Three Poems").
        Include a brief bio in the cover letter field on the submission manager, but no name should appear on the mss.
        Simultaneous submissions allowed if Dogwood is notified of acceptance elsewhere.
        Previously published work is not eligible.
        Deadline: October 15, 2013
        For All Submissions
        Work not meeting the above guidelines will not be considered for publication. All contest entries meeting these requirements will be considered for publication in Spring 2014 Issue of Dogwood along with selected non-contest submissions. Contest entries will be given priority for publication.
        Work can also be mailed to Dogwood, Dept. of English, 1073 N. Benson Rd., Fairfield, CT 06824. We ask that the submission itself be anonymous with a cover letter that mentions your name and the name of the piece for later identification.

        For more information, please see http://dogwoodliterary.com or email shuber@....