call for readers: Woman Made Gallery

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12 7:18 AM
      CALL FOR POETRY:
      Submissions for Woman Made Gallery Literary Series
      Event Date: Sunday, September 9 from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
      Location: 685 N Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago IL
      Submission Deadline: July 20, 2012

      Theme: IT'S ABOUT TIME

      Early or late, young or old, past and present. Time engulfs and carries us by seconds, centuries and increments between. We struggle to keep up or we fall behind. We are influenced by history, from what came before for better or worse. We are told that if we don't learn from it, we'll repeat it. Our aspirations, goals, even our fears for the future color our futures. We think of time as crawling, racing or breathin down our necks. We take time, waste time, give our time. People say "act your age.," speak of that which is timeless or slipping away. Time is the matrix through which we move: that for everything there is a season and the times, they are a-changing.

      All takes on time are fair game for this reading. Send your best.

      Selected poets must be available to read in person. Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio* IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to: <gallery (at) womanmade.org> (replace (at) with @ in sending email) by Friday, July 20, 2012. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by August 5, 2012.

      Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books, read with other talented people and, since we've developed a partnership for the gallery with WBEZ's Chicago Amplified, to have your reading archived for future listening (a really great publicity feature).

      Read more about poetry events at Woman Made Gallery here: http://womanmade.org/poetry.html

      * if you have a performance background, please include this or any other information that might assist us in putting together for a varied program. Also, if you have previously read at the gallery, please include the date of your last appearance.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014

        Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series

        Theme:  Boxes
        Date: Sunday, August 3, 2014/ 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
        Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

        We are seeking work that addresses the theme from any or all ways you can imagine, i.e. Container and contained, categories, black box, Cornell boxes, boxed in, outside the box, gifts and deliveries, Inclusion & Exclusion.

        Selections will be made with an eye to assembling a program that represents a diversity of poets, styles, and approaches to the theme.

        Selected poets MUST be available to read in person. Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to
        <galleryATwomanmadeDOTorg>

        by June 15, 11:59 p.m.. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by June 30. Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books and read with other talented people in a very special environment.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2014

          Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series
          Theme: DOCUMENTATION: For The Record
          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
          Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

          We are seeking work that addresses all aspects of the theme:

          A document provides evidence, or serves as an official record that something happened or simply exists. We are looking for Poems as Documentation or Documentary. Poems in the form of documents: How-to manuals, FAQs. transcripts of imagined interviews, policy documents, inventories, legal or constitutional documents, etc. Poems about the transciber or documentarist are also of interest. Let’s see what you can come up with.

          Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to
          <galleryATwomanmadeDOTorg>

           by December 22, 12:01 a.m.. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by January 20. Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books and read with other talented people in a very special environment.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10

            Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series

            Theme:  Encounters with Health and Medicine, Body and Mind

            Date: Sunday, August 2, 2015 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.

            Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

            This is a call to those whose poetry considers the identity and experience of health and illness. What it’s like to struggle with chronic illnesses or  conditions, as well as acute illness  and injury.

            We want to see work that deals with what it’s like to strive toward health, to engage in treatment and/or rehabilitation. AND we want to hear the experience of the healer.

            Send us work that considers the idea of health as code word for “normal,” and what it means to be disabled in a world that considers those with disabilities as LESS than normal.

            We want to see work that considers the health care system at its best and its worst.

            If there is anything we haven’t mentioned and you think it belongs, send that too. We are seeking work that addresses all aspects of the theme. Let’s see what you can come up with.

            Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to <galleryATwomanmadeDOTorg>  Selected poets MUST be available to read in person.

            The deadline for submissions is Sunday, June 28, 11:59 p.m.. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by July 5.

            Selections are made with an eye to assembling a program that represents a diversity of poets, styles, and approaches to the theme.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28

              Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series

              Theme:   Health and Medicine, Body and Mind
              Deadline for submissions: Monday, June 30, 11:59 pm
              Date: Sunday, August 2, 2015 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
              Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

              This is a call to those with poetry that considers the experience of health and illness. What it’s like to struggle with chronic illnesses or disabilities, as well as acute illness and injury.
              We want to get the perspectives of both “patient” and “healer” or in navigating treatment, the health care system (at its best and worst) whether engaging in treatment, dying or rehabilitation. If you are a withness or loved one of someone who is ill, mentally ill and or dying, we want to hear from you.

              What does it mean to be healthy? Mentally healthy? What is it liike to pursue health?
              Send us work that considers the idea of health as code word for “normal.” How it is to be considered someone that falls outside that norm. What it means to be disabled in a world that considers those with disabilities as LESS than normal.
              We want to see work that considers the health care system at its best  and its worst.

              If there is anything we haven’t mentioned and you think it belongs, send that too. We are seeking work that addresses all aspects of the theme. Let’s see what you can come up with.

              Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to <poetryATwomanmadeDOTorg>. Selected poets MUST be available to read in person.