call for readers: Woman Made Gallery

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
      CALL FOR POETRY:
      Submissions for Woman Made Gallery Literary Series
      Event Date: Sunday, September 9 from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
      Location: 685 N Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago IL
      Submission Deadline: July 20, 2012

      Theme: IT'S ABOUT TIME

      Early or late, young or old, past and present. Time engulfs and carries us by seconds, centuries and increments between. We struggle to keep up or we fall behind. We are influenced by history, from what came before for better or worse. We are told that if we don't learn from it, we'll repeat it. Our aspirations, goals, even our fears for the future color our futures. We think of time as crawling, racing or breathin down our necks. We take time, waste time, give our time. People say "act your age.," speak of that which is timeless or slipping away. Time is the matrix through which we move: that for everything there is a season and the times, they are a-changing.

      All takes on time are fair game for this reading. Send your best.

      Selected poets must be available to read in person. Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio* IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to: <gallery (at) womanmade.org> (replace (at) with @ in sending email) by Friday, July 20, 2012. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by August 5, 2012.

      Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books, read with other talented people and, since we've developed a partnership for the gallery with WBEZ's Chicago Amplified, to have your reading archived for future listening (a really great publicity feature).

      Read more about poetry events at Woman Made Gallery here: http://womanmade.org/poetry.html

      * if you have a performance background, please include this or any other information that might assist us in putting together for a varied program. Also, if you have previously read at the gallery, please include the date of your last appearance.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2014

        Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series

        Theme:  Boxes
        Date: Sunday, August 3, 2014/ 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
        Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

        We are seeking work that addresses the theme from any or all ways you can imagine, i.e. Container and contained, categories, black box, Cornell boxes, boxed in, outside the box, gifts and deliveries, Inclusion & Exclusion.

        Selections will be made with an eye to assembling a program that represents a diversity of poets, styles, and approaches to the theme.

        Selected poets MUST be available to read in person. Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to
        <galleryATwomanmadeDOTorg>

        by June 15, 11:59 p.m.. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by June 30. Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books and read with other talented people in a very special environment.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2014

          Call for Poetry: Woman Made Gallery Literary Series
          Theme: DOCUMENTATION: For The Record
          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
          Place: 685 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL

          We are seeking work that addresses all aspects of the theme:

          A document provides evidence, or serves as an official record that something happened or simply exists. We are looking for Poems as Documentation or Documentary. Poems in the form of documents: How-to manuals, FAQs. transcripts of imagined interviews, policy documents, inventories, legal or constitutional documents, etc. Poems about the transciber or documentarist are also of interest. Let’s see what you can come up with.

          Please send 4 – 6 poems on the theme ALONG WITH a 50 to 75 word bio, IN THE BODY OF AN E-MAIL to
          <galleryATwomanmadeDOTorg>

           by December 22, 12:01 a.m.. We will make every effort to inform those chosen of our decision by January 20. Although we can't afford to pay readers, this is a great opportunity to sell books and read with other talented people in a very special environment.